Why become a member? ×

Stripping a poly finish and refinishing

Twigman

I need to strip and refinish one of my Warmoth P-basses.
It's the wrong colour.
It's banana yellow. - hooky6stringbass - you might remember playing this at Fredstock a few years ago
I want it to be black...

I've never contemplated anything like this before so how does one go about it?

Edumacate me

It seems a cheaper option than buying a new finished body...

Sell the yellow body to offset the cost of a new unfinished body. That will save you one job.
I picked up an unfinished alder P bass body for £100 on ebay and the same company are selling ochebe bodies starting around £60.

OK so now I've had a quote from a friend who does some spraying for him to do it.

I'm wondering if his quote is fair......so how much do you think is the right price to sand back the existing poly finish to give a key for new paint and apply new paint and clear coat?

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1494496276' post='3296447']
OK so now I've had a quote from a friend who does some spraying for him to do it.

I'm wondering if his quote is fair......so how much do you think is the right price to sand back the existing poly finish to give a key for new paint and apply new paint and clear coat?
[/quote]

A professional would charge somewhere between £200 - £300 at least for that I'd guess.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1494501241' post='3296499']
A professional would charge somewhere between £200 - £300 at least for that I'd guess.
[/quote]
If that's the case his quote is definitely fair :)

Tbh no one should not charge more than 100 quud, of course that is for just a body with little prep work to do and a simple one colour job. A poly body that needs keying up etc and includes cost of paint and materials.
Sick of hearing stupid prices for nothing work. So im glad you got a good price.

And you can spray anything over poly, nitro etc etc

Edited by Twincam