Why become a member? ×

ASHDOWN EVO II 1x15 500 combo - tell me more

Twigman

The promoter for our next shows is failing me.

I do many fly away gigs.
I normally take my Puma900 head with me and spec a decent 4ohm 2x12 on the tech rider.
Domestically I use a Barefaced S12T or a Barefaced Supermidget - but taking them with me on Easyjet ain't all that easy.
Normally promoters 'get it right' and I get a nice Ampeg or even a Berg to play through

However Mr cheapskate Spanish promoter has offered me an Ashdown EVOII 1x15 500 combo to play through.
I am reluctant to accept this and am pushing for the guy to deliver what was requested

Tell me what they're like please.....

Should I keep pressing for a cab to use with my Puma?

We're playing venues of around 300-400 capacity

I love mine.

Plenty of tone (great eq) and character and volume.

Just a few things to be aware of......

There is an active and passive switch where you plug in. This is the opposite way round to what you think. (or what i thought!).

Like wise, next to that there is a tone shape which says "push flat/shape" again, this is the wrong way around, where youd think "push flat" would mean push in for a flat response and out for a pre shape. It doesnt, its the opposite way round. Leave out for flat, push in for tone.

Then the eq will need turning on or off, by the eq button under the eq section. What you need to remember is if you dont switch this on you wont be able to use any of the eq buttons, but if you do switch it on it will work in accordance with the flat or pre shape settings (ie it wont stay off even if you have selected a flat eq).

Id also just set the valve dial to 9 oclock, (or turn it off) you just get a nice sound then, after 12 and especially to 3 and 6 oclock it can get really dirty.

Id leave the sub off if youve never used it before.

Ashdown gear is great for live work (see how many bands use it). Just most people dont know how to use them (how many people over the years have twiddled with the eq to find they havent turned it on etc). The best way I find to use Ashdown is to set flat eq then just tweak if needed using just the bass/mid/high dials (the sliders are very sensitive). Their signature sound doesnt sound great on its own, but works really really well in a band set up.

I take it youre going through a pa too?

If youre really worried, ask for something like a 2x10 abm ext cab as well. Works great with the 15.

Edited by la bam

Weird, on all ABMs I've used you push the "push flat" switch IN to remove the preshape, not as described above. With it in the out position you get a huge smiley face EQ which sucks the power out of the amp as it's boosting around 60Hz or something daft.

Apologies, ive got mixed up myself there.

The head reads:

PASSIVE/ACTIVE.

PUSH FLAT/SHAPE.

So you would think if youre pushing in one switch for the first effect itd be the same for the second. ie button IN is PASSIVE and FLAT, but according to the manual it isnt? (albeit this is an evoiii manual).

http://ashdownmusic.com/files/uploads/ABM_EVO_III.pdf

Edited by la bam

Providing you get a good monitor mix you should be fine Ian, I wouldn`t want to use the 115 combo on its own for a 300 - 400 venue tho. I also find that Ashdown cabs are a bit on the bassy side, so what comes from the combo on-stage will have more low end than what goes FOH. Something to bear in mind. Through my old Barefaced Big Twin II I had my ABMs bass control at midday - for the same sound through my array of Ashdown cabs I have it at 10 o`clock.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1494264956' post='3294523']
Providing you get a good monitor mix you should be fine Ian,
[/quote]
I normally don't get a monitor, Loz.
Most of the venues we play seem to only have 4 wedges and desks with 4 channel foldback.
Being a 5 piece it's always me that ends up without a wedge.
The vocalist has one for obvious reasons.
The guitarist gets one - he does BV so needs one more than me
The drummer gets one, for obvious reasons.
The keyboard gets one coz he's plugged only into the PA and it's the only way he'll hear himself....

which leaves little old me monitor free, earwigging everyone else's monitor

I'm sure this method is extremely frowned upon, but do the Ashdown combos have a 1/4" jack from the speaker into the back of the amp that you can unplug?

In the distant past when I found myself with a duff combo but no other cab to hand, I used a jack to jack connector onto a short speaker lead and connected another head to the combo.

I know the Ashdown speaker may not be the best, but at least you'll be able to use your Puma.

Edited by Deedee