Why become a member? ×

Small or micro combos

andybassdoyle

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1494626810' post='3297520']
Those are both really amazing amps but the AER Amp Two is the daddy, and a real rarity. It can be clean or gritty and it can get really loud. It's a marvelous sounding combo. I've covered some fairly big gigs with it without PA backing.

Sadly, mine is getting little use now as I seem to use the Barefaced One10/ GK MB200 or Barefaced Super Midget/EBS Reidmar 750 these days. If you prefer a combo, the AER Amp Two is just about as good as it gets. :)

Frank.
[/quote]

Hey Frank - what is it about the Barefaced One10/ GK MB200 or Barefaced Super Midget/EBS Reidmar 750 rigs that means that you prefer them to the AER Amp?

As you say the amp two is the "daddy" of the three AER amps at 240W instead of 200W and has 12" + 4" speakers (vs 10" on amp one and 2x8 on amp three) and comes in at a more meaty 51 lbs (vs 30lbs and 35lbs for the other AER combos). And these babies don't come cheap - I think prices are currently AER amp one - £1,475, amp three - £1,600 and I'm guessing similar or a little more for amp two although it seems to have been discontinued.

So it would be really interesting to hear why, for you, the two rigs trump your AER combo? I've always been a fan of combos for their convenience but the fact that you have a couple of quality rigs that you feel out-perform / better meet your needs one of the very highest-end combos is definitely giving me food for thought!

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1494665726' post='3297664']
Expensive - AER Amp One

Medium - Tecamp Puma Combo

Cheap - TC 2x8 Combo.
[/quote]

+1 for that!

I would perhaps expand as follows :)

Expensive - AER Amp One, Mesa Walkabout Scout

Medium - Tecamp Puma Combo, Markbass CMD 121P

Cheap - TC 2x8 Combo, Promethean 3110

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1494661724' post='3297625']
Hey Frank - what is it about the Barefaced One10/ GK MB200 or Barefaced Super Midget/EBS Reidmar 750 rigs that means that you prefer them to the AER Amp?

As you say the amp two is the "daddy" of the three AER amps at 240W instead of 200W and has 12" + 4" speakers (vs 10" on amp one and 2x8 on amp three) and comes in at a more meaty 51 lbs (vs 30lbs and 35lbs for the other AER combos). And these babies don't come cheap - I think prices are currently AER amp one - £1,475, amp three - £1,600 and I'm guessing similar or a little more for amp two although it seems to have been discontinued.

So it would be really interesting to hear why, for you, the two rigs trump your AER combo? I've always been a fan of combos for their convenience but the fact that you have a couple of quality rigs that you feel out-perform / better meet your needs one of the very highest-end combos is definitely giving me food for thought!
[/quote]

It's not that I prefer either of those mini-rigs to the Amp Two, but there are a couple of things that seem to make me use them more. The tone and volume of the Amp Two is really impressive and could easily cope with any of my gigs but...firstly it weighs more than the other rigs and secondly, I like to have a back-up amp at all my gigs meaning I'd have to take another full rig when using the combo.

And that's all really. The AER is the perfect combo in every way except it's a little heavy. (I'm in the process of making a lightweight cloth front for the AER so I should lose about 6lbs by dumping the steel grill. It might get more outings after that.? We'll see.) It has a fuller and deeper sound than the Mesa Walkabout too in my experience.

I hope this helps your decision making process a little. (EDIT: Or rather the OPs decision making process.)

Frank.

Edited by machinehead

Hey Frank - that makes a lot of sense. The weight thing is definitely something to consider for both the AER Two and the Mesa Walkabout. My Markbass AC 121 Lite delivers 500W of warm high quality sound through a single 1x12 Markbass combo speaker. It's 35 lbs and that's kinda plenty in terms of weight - I probably wouldn't want to be going much above 40 lbs if I could avoid doing so, so I completely get where you are coming from.

In my search for a lighter combo I bought and sold the following:

Roland Bass Cube 100W
Roland Bass Cube 30W
EBS Session 60W
PJB Briefcase 100W
PJB Flightcase 150W
PJB Bass Cub 100W
Fender Rumble 100W

All were very good amps however the watts relate poorly to the loudness, eg. the Briefcase has a lovely eq but barely the loudness of the Bass Cube 30W. Also the dispersion characteristics were very different between the models/speaker sizes.

I eventually settled on a TCE BG250-208. I changed the speakers to give the full 250W from the combo and disconnected the ext spr skt.
It is now about as loud as the Bass Cube 100. Before the mod' it was a good combo and when I tried it with an Ampeg 115 ext speaker it was very loud. But I didn't require that set-up, just a small combo.

Other than the loudness and sound/tone/eq my choice was down to convenience i.e. weight, footprint, built in compression and built in tuner.
I'm happy with the all-in-one package.

The only GAS I suffer amp-wise is the thought that a Peavey Minimax + Barefaced One 10 might just be that little bit better tone and loudness-wise. I'm just hesitating about spending another £600 when I don't really need to.

Edited by grandad