Why become a member? ×

Driving Active Speakers (Barefaced FR800) with pre-amp

doc40hz

May be a silly question, but would a decent pre-amp pedal (such as a sadowsky, tech21, Tonebone) be sufficient to drive an active PA speaker - specifically a Barefaced FR800.

I've recently bought these and just received the FR1400 sub. Not tried the sub yet, but the FR800s impressed the hell out of me and my band mates.

I own a pair of BB2s which is my gigging rig. These are needed to get over our incredibly loud drummer. We just use a vocal PA and the backline volume is set against the drums.

Just for shits and giggles, I'd like to try using the FR1400 and FR800 combined as my back line - just once ;)

Not sure what I've got to drive it though - DI post EQ from an amp? If not, I'd need to get a decent pre amp pedal. I did try my behringer tech 21 clone, but I dont think its got enough juice - there was not the volume I expected coming out the speakers.

My other bands will be using the full Barefaced rig, with everything through the PA and quite back line. I'm considering going in ears, but not sure. I do love my BB2 cabs :)

Next gig I'll need the sub for is next month, and I want to fire it up and feel the flap!

DI from an amp probably has about the same output as a preamp pedal, they both feed line level DI to the desk after all.

My gut feeling is that it will certainly work although maybe not quite optimally. Most of the time, you'd have the extra gain stage of the mixer in between the DI and the cabs and I'd guess without that extra stage you'd be a little low on volume.

I believe that the input sensitivity on the FR800s can be changed, which may negate this entirely.....

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1494492681' post='3296403']
DI from an amp probably has about the same output as a preamp pedal, they both feed line level DI to the desk after all.

My gut feeling is that it will certainly work although maybe not quite optimally. Most of the time, you'd have the extra gain stage of the mixer in between the DI and the cabs and I'd guess without that extra stage you'd be a little low on volume.
[/quote]

An powered DI output on an amp will be line level AFAIK and should therefore drive a line input on a powered speaker without issues.