Why become a member? ×

Ampeg scrambler bass overdrive pedal

bluesparky

• 2 weeks later...

The "new version" is a few years old and already out of production. These things are rare and very expensive.
There are clones but I do not know how they compare. I have a Fredric Effects Scrambled Brainz but it is a clone of the original pedal (fuzz octave up).

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1495390072' post='3303414'] Just been reading about the One Control Sonic Silver Peg, which does a really good driven Ampeg impression, not sure who sells these but they look and sound nice: http://www.one-control.com/sonic-silver-peg.html [/quote]
Ok, thanks, I'll check it out too.
I see that there are a couple of stores that are due to have the pedal in stock in mid-June so I'll keep an eye out for them.
Thank you

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1496505038' post='3311969']
Is that just the Scrambler or the SCR DI?

I was looking at that as not only a pedal but also a portable quiet practice tool.

It looked like it sounded the business
[/quote]
Just the scrambler, I'm looking forward to it arriving.
I may have to sell my bass soul food to make room for it on my pedal board.
I'll keep you posted on what my opinion of it is.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='bluesparky' timestamp='1496582019' post='3312424']

Just the scrambler, I'm looking forward to it arriving.
I may have to sell my bass soul food to make room for it on my pedal board.
I'll keep you posted on what my opinion of it is.
[/quote]

So what did you think? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts versus the Soul Food.

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1498777774' post='3327048']
So what did you think? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts versus the Soul Food.
[/quote]
I like it, I really like it
The bass soul food is a cracking pedal too, I got some great sounds out of it however it was a bit trebley (spelling?) for me. I had the treble wound right out and I had to creep some low-end in from my bass each time I used it to get the exact sound I wanted.
Also, it had a great overdrive sound - fantastic with a pick, but I play fingerstyle so I want an extra 10% more of overdrive that the bass soul food.
The Ampeg delivered the sound I wanted too with that tiny extra smidge of overdrive and it has slightly more low-end to it when the treble is wound out.
It was a tough decision as I already had the soul food but I didn't want to keep tweaking my bass controls each time I used it.

It's probably perfect for 90% of people looking for a subtle overdrive pedal but the Ampeg pedal just carries that little bit more, for me.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just bought a Scrambler pedal today. Can’t wait to try it with my Streamliner. It’s replacing a Bass Soul Food that blew a few weeks ago.

Tried it against the NM2 Ashdown pedal. Sounded fuller and richer to my ears with nice response to fingers and pick. If I had £200 to spend I would have tried lots more.

Was playing through an Orange OB1 300 in the shop. That’s an impressive sounding amp!

Will post back when I’ve used the Scrambler in anger at rehearsal on Wednesday.

I bought a Scrambler recently but returned it. Sounds similar to the Bass Soul Food but much better - it wasn't a bad pedal but if it doesn't improve on what's currently on my board then it goes back or goes up for sale!

Another one I picked recently from here that is very similar to both of those pedals again is the COG Mini 66. Not sure if I'm going to keep it yet but I thoroughly recommend it over the other two mentioned!

• 5 years later...

Hello,
I am having an issue on my new second hand Ampeg Scrambler.
I play it via a passive bass (Squire Vintage Modified '70 Jazz Bass, 4 strings EADG tune). Bad saturation (farting sound) when playing even with gain and blend at zero disregarding the volume setting in the pedal.

I tried the following as debugging:
replacing power supply,
both audio cables (bass->scranbler->amp),
I played it on my amp and speaker,
I played directly on my audio card and headphones

...I can reproduce the issue no matter what I do.

I brought it back to its owner and we tested it with his Fender Precision, no issues at all.
I brought it to a tech, his opinion: nothing wrong with the pedal, It must be me not liking it (or vice-versa) ....

Any idea where this issue might come??

Thanks for a reply,
Sergio

Edited by Kepallino_fr