Why become a member? ×

Smitten Kitten...

NancyJohnson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Blimey....that's a good $1000 more expensive than most US Laklands, and approaching Fodera pricing!
Hope you like it :)
To be fair, this is exactly what I did in order to order my old Fodera MGS, sold a bunch of stuff I didn't use, paid for it in full (which was both excellent and depressing haha), didn't regret it :)

Si

Paul Schuster at Lull texted me and said it'll be a killer bass, so my expectation is fairly high.

A few years back I was well into double figures bass-wise and while I'll admit is was a lot of fun having them, it was kind of ridiculous, to the extent that periodically I wouldn't be able to list all of them. Anyhow, I'm down to five or six now, three of which are definite keepers. While I don't need to sell the Thunderbird Gothic now, I can see it getting less and less use as time goes on, so I'll just leave it up for sale. If it sells, fine, if not, that's fine too.

I can't believe it's been two months since I ordered it. It should be here October/November. I'll report back when it's here.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Sibob said:

Very cool, look forward to seeing it!

Si

I rarely get excited about anything nowadays...that steady decline from adolescence through adulthood has seen my excitable levels go from pre-Christmas excited to meh, but last night for a few seconds I felt a brief adolescent-excitement then back to normal.

I'm still harbouring the faintest of worries that something won't be right with it...all this bourne from matter of placing my order/deposit with BD, not really getting any confirmation by return and then getting a build datasheet back of wholly wrong specs.  I'd actually included photographs and so on.  Eventually I really felt like I needed to take it direct to Lull to see what they were building.

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

I rarely get excited about anything nowadays...that steady decline from adolescence through adulthood has seen my excitable levels go from pre-Christmas excited to meh, but last night for a few seconds I felt a brief adolescent-excitement then back to normal.

I'm still harbouring the faintest of worries that something won't be right with it...all this bourne from matter of placing my order/deposit with BD, not really getting any confirmation by return and then getting a build datasheet back of wholly wrong specs.  I'd actually included photographs and so on.  Eventually I really felt like I needed to take it direct to Lull to see what they were building.

That's interesting, so you have dealt directly with Lull with comms? Even if the bass is coming back to BD when done?

I only ask because I dealt directly with Lakland for my build and it was smooth and easy....at no point did they suggest I go through Guitar Guitar. That said, they may only be official dealers for Skyline and not customs.

Si

Edited by Sibob

1 hour ago, Sibob said:

That's interesting, so you have dealt directly with Lull with comms? Even if the bass is coming back to BD when done?

I only ask because I dealt directly with Lakland for my build and it was smooth and easy....at no point did they suggest I go through Guitar Guitar. That said, they may only be official dealers for Skyline and not customs.

Si

I was already (FB) friends with Paul Schuster...I was in contact with him when I was trying to source the JAXT4 a couple of years ago, so when I bought that, he was my initial point of contact.  He's active on the Lull Owners Group on Facebook, he likes my band, so we kind of know each other digitally.

When I first saw the bass I'm buying on this thread, I pinged Paul a message enquiring what the bass actually was and he came back to me with the details and the price.  When I finally picked myself up off the floor, I asked whether there was any benefit in my buying direct or having it shipped to a mate in Vermont who would bring it in or or going through a UK dealer.  To be honest, the cheapest option was going through Bass Direct, plus if anything went wrong then Mark at BD will be my point of contact to resolve things rather than me dealing with Seattle. 

Much as I love what Mark @BD is trying to do for bass players, I have said elsewhere that he probably needs someone in to handle his admin, because frankly when the specification that arrived came through, I nearly shat myself as it couldn't have been more wrong.  It's got to be right.  At this point I just pinged Paul a PM and he confirmed the specification and build.  He's also sent me a handful of unprompted PMs about progress, which is handful more messages than I've had from Mark.  I'm paying an awful lot of money and really don't have any qualms about speaking to Paul about where the bass is at buildwise.

54 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I was already (FB) friends with Paul Schuster...I was in contact with him when I was trying to source the JAXT4 a couple of years ago, so when I bought that, he was my initial point of contact.  He's active on the Lull Owners Group on Facebook, he likes my band, so we kind of know each other digitally.

When I first saw the bass I'm buying on this thread, I pinged Paul a message enquiring what the bass actually was and he came back to me with the details and the price.  When I finally picked myself up off the floor, I asked whether there was any benefit in my buying direct or having it shipped to a mate in Vermont who would bring it in or or going through a UK dealer.  To be honest, the cheapest option was going through Bass Direct, plus if anything went wrong then Mark at BD will be my point of contact to resolve things rather than me dealing with Seattle. 

Much as I love what Mark @BD is trying to do for bass players, I have said elsewhere that he probably needs someone in to handle his admin, because frankly when the specification that arrived came through, I nearly shat myself as it couldn't have been more wrong.  It's got to be right.  At this point I just pinged Paul a PM and he confirmed the specification and build.  He's also sent me a handful of unprompted PMs about progress, which is handful more messages than I've had from Mark.  I'm paying an awful lot of money and really don't have any qualms about speaking to Paul about where the bass is at buildwise.

All sounds very reasonable to me!

Si

I don't know what a Lull bass would cost (I'm guessing a lot) but hearing that the spec. sheet came back wrong gave me a twinge of fear and it's not even my bass! I remember the heartbreak when my cheapo Dano '63 came direct from the factory with a little ding in the paint (courier's fault), so can't imagine how it would be after such a long wait. Glad to hear that you have a contact there who was able to keep you updated and reassured throughout!

Can't wait to see it!

• 3 weeks later...

OK, briefest of updates.

A couple of weeks back, the NRT5 was in paint.  Right now Lull are waiting for the bridge to come back from being chromed as the original had a flaw on it after the chroming process.  Mike Lull is apparently chomping at the bit to build it/bolt it all together (and get me off his back too, I suppose).  The waiting is getting unbearable.  I honestly don't know how some guys wait 18-24 months for a bass to get built.