Why become a member? ×

Gibson Thunderbird Gothic (super rare/price drop, £1,150)
£2200

NancyJohnson

Been giving some thought to going for another Lull bass, so I've made the decision to sell on two of my Thunderbirds to get the ball rolling.

[s]The white/ivory Thunderbird is dated December 2004, it's been modded with a Babicz FCH bridge and Dunlop Straploks. It's pretty clean, aside from a small paint chip on the upper bout (where your forearm would sit) and another small scrape near the side mounted jack socket. Neither are visible when you're playing. I imported this from Japan about six or seven years ago. It has the Gibson hardcase and I have the original bridge should the buyer wish to revert it to stock. Neck is thin, fast, flat and the action is super low. It plays very easily. Given the relative rarity of this colour (and that Gibson aren't making any Thunderbirds at all right now), I'm looking for £950.[/s][b] SOLD![/b]

OK next up, an uber-rare Gibson Thunderbird Gothic. A bit of back history. Gibson made around 150 Gothics, they weren't promoted and it's guesstimated that about 50 made it to the outside world, the remaining 100-odd were retooled into Nikki Sixx Blackbirds. So you're getting a very rare Thunderbird, that's got the hotter Blackbird pickups. I've fitted it with Dunlop Straploks and a Babicz FCH bridge. The mahogany hasn't been filled so there's a nice grain-visible satin finish (see pics).

I'm looking for (sit down), [s]£1,250.00[/s] [s]£1,200.00[/s] £1,150.00 for this. You simply won't be able to find another one, let alone at this price.

Edited by NancyJohnson

A few people have PM'd for pics...unsure whether these are for curio purposes or genuine interest. Anyhow, these are the ones I'm sending out.

This one shows the small chip on the reverse...a black Sharpie will make that disappear.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1496170118' post='3309334']
Nice. What width is the Gothic at the nut?
[/quote]

The nut measures 1¾" imperial or 3.8cm metric. The neck is about 1.9cm in depth at the nut.

I used it at a rehearsal last night and it does sound great (this isn't any kind of selling point, but it just does!) and even the guitarist commented on the tone, which left me a bit slackjawed. It's a reluctant sale and I know I'm going to regret it, but I just need to free up some swag (see Smitten Kitten on the Bass Guitars page).

Edited by NancyJohnson

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...