Why become a member? ×

Hi from Northampton

petedad

Hi all,
I've just joined the forum and thought I'd come on and say "hello".
I am originally from the Bromley, Kent area, but moved to Northampton in 1981.
I was hoping that some members could give me some information on my bass guitar. It is a Jazz Bass copy from around the early to mid 1970s. The name on it is Status, which I believe has no connection with the manufacturers currently using that name.
I bought it second-hand from a music shop in Bromley around 1974/5, by which time it was probably about 3-5 years old. I was told by friends "in the know" that it was one of the better copies around at the time and I've always thought that it has a good tone and reasonable playing action, although not as good as the real thing, obviously!
As a starry-eyed teenager, I dreamed of a possible career in music and practised for a while with schoolfriends who had a band and had played one or two gigs at school functions, before their bass player dropped out. In the end it all fizzled out, as did any lingering hopes of that elusive music career, when I moved away a few years later.
I have kept the bass ever since, during which time it has only ever been "gigged" once by my son, in a school concert.
At the age of 59, I now have to admit to myself that stardom is never going to knock at my door!
I must be brutal and think seriously about parting with my "long-time friend", as these days it spends most of it's time in my wardrobe!
I have no idea where my bass "sits", in terms of quality relating to other makes, so any advice would be welcome. I'm sure it has many years of playing left in it and deserves better than the life it currently has with me.
Please forgive the long post and ramblings of an aging "used to be a wannabe!". If anyone would like, or if it would help with identification, I can post some photos.
Thanks for reading and happy playing,
Peter.

Another Northants chap here!

Looking round online, I couldn't find anything about your Status bass. But there may be guys on here who can shed some light on it for you. It might be worth putting a post in the 'Bass guitars' forum under the 'Gear' section of the site. A couple of photos will definitely help too.

It clearly holds a great deal of sentimental value for you, and there is the possibility that as an unknown quantity it may not be worth much if you were to sell it on. If that turns out to be the case, and you're happy with the way it plays and sounds, then I'd suggest you hang on to it as it sounds like it's probably worth more to you than it is to sell it on for a few quid. Unless it happens to be a hidden gem that's worth a fortune!

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys,
Thank you all for your replies. I'm so sorry for not responding sooner, but it's been a very hectic few months ! I've finally got round to taking some photos. Sorry if I'm being dim, but I cannot see how to upload the photos. Can anyone advise me please?
Thanks, Peter.