Why become a member? ×

First gig is the deepest.....

Bilbo

Just reading another thread on this subject and it occured to me why this is so often a difficullt and intense experience.

I would argue that in most working class families, music is discovered by people through informal routes at the mid to late teen stage and mostly through popular music genres. The most common first instruments are probably electric guitars and basses, amybe keyboards and, less commonly, drums (because of cost, space and noise issues). As a result of this, many people who come to the double bass do so late in their careers and after they have ALREADY started playing gigs. As soon as they take the plunge and buy a double bass, the people around them are immediately putting pressure on them to play the instrument on gigs.

I was playing for a couple of years before I did my first electric gig and during those years was unemployed, single, living at home with my parents and shedding for hours and hours. When I got a double bass (thanks, Jake), I was a lot older, in full-time employment and had the full range of obligations that come with early middle age. As a result, I was gigging well before I was even close to ready. No stamina, no technique, lousy intonation etc etc. When I think about it, we don't really stand a chance, do we?

You're absolutely right. It's a viciously steep learning curve. In my case I was gigging my electric bass at 14 and did that and nothing else right through my teens and into music college, finishing that at 20. At 21 I bought my first upright and was gigging it within a month. I stress that it wasn't out of any talent, but simply a mix of having one and being too stupid to say no. Many bad habits were learnt on the job, but then I was happy to have a job!!!

Interesting post, you pretty much summed up my experience of getting into music as a teenager, then switching to double bass in later life or 'second life'. However, I worked my way up from open mics and street parties and stuff before my first proper gigs, so I made my gaffs playing to one man & his dog. I see a lot more younger people playing double bass these days, which is is great.