Why become a member? ×

Thunderbird pickup replacement (MOJO pickups)

police squad

[quote name='The_Rodster' timestamp='1497038986' post='3315559']
Yeah, it's definitely a massive improvement there. I do miss the bottom end of the black pickups but I like the bite of the replacements. Unfortunately I've yet to find something between the two
[/quote]

I need plenty of bottom from my Thunderbird, it's tuned DGCF so needs all the help it can get!

[quote name='Yukimajou' timestamp='1496943608' post='3314921']
Does anyone know if you can successfully get the plastic cover off the Epi T'Bird pickups? I think they really don't do the bass any justice and uncovered pups would look so much better, I can't afford the chrome or nickel replacements as they are more expesive that the guitar was. I will however, get a set of chrome toppe knobs as again the black ones look like crap.
[/quote]

You can buy the chrome pickup covers and rings on the net. They're not that expensive (£10-15 or so, IIRC)

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1497092092' post='3315792']You can buy the chrome pickup covers and rings on the net. They're not that expensive (£10-15 or so, IIRC)[/quote]

Do you have any links? I'd heard nothing quite fits right on the Gibsons if you go down that route. I'd love to be able to prove that wrong.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1497092092' post='3315792']

You can buy the chrome pickup covers and rings on the net. They're not that expensive (£10-15 or so, IIRC)
[/quote]

It's pretty well documented that the chrome pickup covers don't really fit over the pickups. You'll need to remove the black plastic outer casing (and risk damaging the inner workings) and/or make the body routs larger to accommodate.

All in all, it's probably more feasible to purchase new units. Trust me.

Yeah, it's the stripping the plastic off & re-potting the pickup in the chrome cover that's the problem. I brought some chrome covers to have a crack at it, but lost my bottle when it came to stripping the plastic off & went down the replacement route. I'll dig the part out & take a photo when I get a minute

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1496941268' post='3314898']
Thunderbirds have been produced in three periods; vintage would best be applied to the 60s run (1963-69), the Bicentennial run (1976-79) and the current (or last) run (1987-2016).

Bear in mind that the original Thunderbird pickups were units leftover from lapsteel production. The 70s pickups, I don't know, could be new or old...you wouldn't put it past a company like Gibson to uncover a box of old lapsteel pickups and produce a load of Bicentennial basses rather than throw them in a skip, but I just don't know.

The last run dispensed with the chrome and went with plastic casings. The final production year saw the introduction of the EB series pickups.
[/quote]

Interesting! Cheers for that :) I've never owned a T-bird, but find myself increasingly drawn towards them recently... :gas:

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1497093101' post='3315798']
Do you have any links? I'd heard nothing quite fits right on the Gibsons if you go down that route. I'd love to be able to prove that wrong.
[/quote]

Here's the link for the ones I've used (the rings are on there, too). Obviously, you'll need to make some exact measurements, and yeah, some minor modding might be required. Mine have got Dingwall pickups underneath. I'd looked at some EMG 'buckers which fit, too... Mine are in an Epi TBird body, so I was happy to mod, but if I'd spent the money on a Gibson, I might not be inclined to go cheap...

[url="http://www.crazyparts.de/pickup-making-parts/pickupcovers/misc/gibson-thunderbird-pu-cover-chrome.php"]http://www.crazypart...over-chrome.php[/url]

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1497267600' post='3316866']
Here's the link for the ones I've used (the rings are on there, too). Obviously, you'll need to make some exact measurements, and yeah, some minor modding might be required. Mine have got Dingwall pickups underneath. I'd looked at some EMG 'buckers which fit, too... Mine are in an Epi TBird body, so I was happy to mod, but if I'd spent the money on a Gibson, I might not be inclined to go cheap...

[url="http://www.crazyparts.de/pickup-making-parts/pickupcovers/misc/gibson-thunderbird-pu-cover-chrome.php"]http://www.crazypart...over-chrome.php[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for the link. I will definitely have to check these out. Likewise having an Epi T'Bird I'm not too afraid of modding.

[quote name='Yukimajou' timestamp='1497295190' post='3317157']
Thanks for the link. I will definitely have to check these out. Likewise having an Epi T'Bird I'm not too afraid of modding.
[/quote]

Yeah, I've bought my Epiphone's to try out some modding too!

Here are the photo's of Gibson Pickups next to a chrome cover. I got the covers from Philadelphia Luthier on ebay.

[attachment=247506:Tbird 90 + cover.JPG]

[attachment=247507:Tbird 90 99 cover.JPG]