Why become a member? ×

Ampeg V4BH grind/drive

Pow_22

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]Need a bit of help here possible with amp settings or maybe even valve selection.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]My current rig/set up is – Pbass with Elites flatwounds into an Ampeg V4BH into an Ampeg 410he. [/color][/size][size=3][color=#000000]Great beefy sound but just lacking a little grind/drive.[/color][/size][size=3][color=#000000] [/color][/size][size=3][color=#000000]Initially I thought it was maybe down to strings – the Elites are very much an old school type flat with a tubby and thumpy sound.[/color][/size][size=3][color=#000000] [/color][/size][size=3][color=#000000]I switched to some Elites Groundwounds which certainly brought more grind but also less thump and more tension.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]Ive tried messing around with having the amps volume on max and setting the level using the gain and also vice versa. [/color][/size][size=3][color=#000000]Ive put some Chinese 12AX7’s in the pre to try and get a bit more breakup but nothing seems to be working.[/color][/size][size=3][color=#000000] [/color][/size][size=3][color=#000000]I just cant seem to get the grind and drive I want – the kind of open, woody tone with a hint of break up that was always associated with p bass through an ampeg valve amp.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]Amp settings are Bass at Noon, Treble at 11 oclock, Mid at 3 oclock with Mid selector on 3. [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]Finally, I recently I bought a DHA Bass Drive to use on Chelsea Dagger (which it does very well) and im wondering if I should look to use this as an ‘always-on’ type pre-amp pedal (with a less extreme setting than Chelsea Dagger).[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]Any help here much appreciated. [/color][/size][size=3][color=#000000]I just want to open the sound up a little and add that bit of hair to it.[/color][/size][/font]

Edited by Pow_22

I own a V4B, having previously owned the Fender 100T. In my experience the V4B has a softer and more euphonious breakup than the Fender which gives it the impression of having more headroom than some other 100 watt tube heads I have played. If you want more grind from it at lower levels you may want to try going to a smaller or less efficient cab such as a 210 or 212 which should allow you to drive the head a bit harder. The Fender 100T breaks up earlier and more aggressively in both 25 watt and 100 watt modes, so that is an alternative - albeit expensive. Otherwise a pedal is, as you have stated, an easy option.

i use the Ampeg SVT-CL Gain at 12 0'clock, Volume at 11 (o'clock! :P ), bass at about 10 o'clock, mids at 2 and treble at 12. I also have a DHA VT-2 EQ preamp, its always on, I can control the volume and grind with the volume and tone knobs on the bass, I always roll off a quarter turn on the bass volume, to keep a little in the tank if things get louder.

Having owned a V4BH (NOT to be confused with a V4-B), two lasting memories were that its was very low powered, even for a 100w amp, and that the break up wasn't too pleasant. I found it to be at its best with an Ampeg SVT15 cab in a studio setting where I could almost coax B-15 tones from it.

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]I read that a lot whilst doing my research before buying but I can honestly say ive never wanted for power or more headroom. [/color][/size][size=3][color=#000000]Im up against a rock drummer, a Vox AC30 and a Fender Twin and easily compete with room to spare.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]One thing I read (whether its right or wrong) if that these particular amps really do need balanced driver valves (the 12AX7 and 12AU7) before the 6L6’s so first thing I did was this and it did seem to ‘wake the amp up’ somewhat. [/color][/size][size=3][color=#000000]If anything it might even be TOO powerful for me as im not able to crank it to the valve saturation point.[/color][/size][/font]

[size=3][color=#000000][font=Calibri]Think im gonna tinker with my DHA Drive Pedal and see if I can get some grit there – though that will leave me short of a nice OD pedal for Chelsea Dagger [/font][font=Wingdings][font=Wingdings]J[/font][/font][/color][/size]

Edited by Pow_22

• 2 weeks later...

I put my V4BH through an Ampeg Classic 15 and Classic 2x10 and like you I've never been short of power, but I've also never had a problem getting it to distort & breakup. I restrung one of my Thunderbirds with flats to cut it back a bit, which worked. My amp setting are roughly Gain on 4, bass on 7, mid on 6, Frequency on 3, treble on 5 and master on 6