Why become a member? ×

Peavey 6505 Piranha 1x8 Cabinet for bass at home?

dave_bass5

I don't generally like to generalise :P but if you wanted to make a cheap speaker that sounded good for bass guitar and didn't need to play loud at all, then a typical low cost 8" driver tends to tick a lot of the boxes - the T/S parameters and cone behaviour tend to fall into the right ranges for good bass tone. Consequently I've heard many 8" beginner combos sound far better than more expensive 12"or 15" combos for home practice. Terrible if you have to turn up loud but that's not what they're for!

I've still got my first amp at home:

(internet pic)

I haven't plugged it in years but it sounds like a proper bass within it's volume limits. No need for a bigger driver for home use.

Edit: mine's even older than the pictured as it doesn't have the gain knob. :)

Edited by Ghost_Bass

For home use, I was pleasantly surprised by the PJB Double 4. I don't know what your budget is - but certainly worth investigating for at home if you have the cash.

In answer to your direct question - if it's cheap enough - it's worth a punt, right?

Edited by EBS_freak

Thanks for the replies. The one im looking at is about £80 so yes, worth a punt. I have been using computer speakers and while they are loud enough the bass sounds like a guitar (for obvious reasons). So yes, i want a bass tone but at a very low level. It will go on my sons shelve next to his PC speakers so anything larger than a 1x8 would be overkill.

I do plan on using a Markbass F1 head but will be very, very careful with the volume.

I have a pair of TE (now there's a surprise) 1x8 PA speakers which I use occasionally. I'm actually looking to re-case these in a 2x8 cab but now I have a TE 1x10 cab there's less of a hurry.

Edited by TheGreek

• 2 weeks later...