Why become a member? ×

Help identifying SGC Nanyo bass

SICbass

Hi all,

can anyone help me identify this bass model please. I know it's a nanyo sgc, but what's the model number?
The serial number is 883373. Unfortunately there's no model number on the rear side of the control cavity cover.
I've pictured the control cavity, however, matters are further compicated because the previous owner has fitted Glockenklang electronics. Plus the knobs aren't on because the Nanyo knobs don't fit the Glockenklang pots, doh! I do have all of these seperately though, should this help clear identification.

Thanks for any help,
Paul.

Edited by SICbass

It looks very similar to the SB425 5string that I used to own, which I think Skezza still has. I'd say an SB420 from 1988, first two digits of serial number is the year.

Pickups may have been changed too. They should have SGC in gold on them, can't tell from the pics if it's there, worn off, or not present.

Thanks for your help guys.

I tried looking at Happy Jack's thread, but wasn't really any the wiser. Everyone there was already a level above me, throwing around serial numbers.
My (very) uneducated guess was a 310, but I don't know what the criteria for the model numbers is, pup-combination? what woods used? which manufacturer?
I've taken a closer look and the pups appear to be blank rather than the SGC logo scratched off. I could take the pups off and look at the back, I suppose. I'm just a bit of a chicken about taking stuff off and relying on my ability to get it back on.

Cheers,
Paul.

I believe that this is one of the later models - possibly a 100 - built after BC were first taken over. The bridge on this is the lower mass Fender style bridge rather than the well constructed high mass bridge fitted to the early models. The pre-amps are different too.

I have two of these - a fretted and a fretless - theirs very little difference in the tone and playability of these versus the early ones bearing the SB3/4/5 model nos.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1495106886' post='3301296']
I believe that this is one of the later models - possibly a 100 - built after BC were first taken over. The bridge on this is the lower mass Fender style bridge rather than the well constructed high mass bridge fitted to the early models. The pre-amps are different too.

I have two of these - a fretted and a fretless - theirs very little difference in the tone and playability of these versus the early ones bearing the SB3/4/5 model nos.
[/quote]

Thanks TheGreek. Forgive me being obtuse, would that make it an SB100 then? Or SB301 or SB310? I really don't get the model naming system.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1495106886' post='3301296']
I believe that this is one of the later models - possibly a 100 - built after BC were first taken over.
[/quote]

I disagree. The serial number clearly dates it to 1988. It's not an SB100.

There of some pictures of my old red one in psychoandy's for-sale thread. Someone did a fair bit of research and identified the 5 as a 400 series.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/141457-sgc-nanyo-bass-collection-5-string-sold/page__p__1273893__fromsearch__1#entry1273893"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1273893[/url]

The control plate is identical, down to the funny 'Made In Japan' sticker and the two additional screw holes in the middle of the plate, which are very unusual. The finish on the body is translucent and looks to be Sen. The fingerboard is ebony. These are all characteristics of the 320 and 400 series. The 300 series and the 100s usually had rosewood fingerboards and solid body finishes.

I can't tell what kind of bridge is on SICbass's from the photos, It probably also has a brass nut. In the other respects it looks similar.

Edit: I've also noticed that the difference between the two serial numbers is 17, so I'd guess they were made very close together.

Edited by pete.young

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1495110595' post='3301349']
I disagree. The serial number clearly dates it to 1988. It's not an SB100.
[/quote]
Me too. When Nanyo was resurrected after they stopped trading the production moved to, I believe, Korea. I have one of these basses and 2 MIJ ones. The Korean one has a high mass bridge, both MIJ ones have BBOT. The control cavity cover on the Korean ones have the holes in a different place to the Jap ones as well.
Also as Pete points out it is a 1988 serial number and MIJ.
When I removed the neck of one of mine, it had "4 series" written in the neck pocket, so maybe that is the answer, assuming you are happy to detach the neck.

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1495114387' post='3301381']

Me too. When Nanyo was resurrected after they stopped trading the production moved to, I believe, Korea. I have one of these basses and 2 MIJ ones. The Korean one has a high mass bridge, both MIJ ones have BBOT. The control cavity cover on the Korean ones have the holes in a different place to the Jap ones as well.
When I removed the neck of one of mine, it had "4 series" written in the neck pocket, so maybe that is the answer, assuming you are happy to detach the neck.
[/quote]

Ooh, I'm a bit of a wuss about removing necks and suchlike. I can do some close-ups of the bridge, nut and hardware if that would help?

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1495114387' post='3301381']

[/quote]

Ooh, I'm a bit of a wuss about removing necks and suchlike. I can do some close-ups of the bridge, nut and hardware if that would help?

• 2 months later...

Hi, A fretless Nanyo estimated by the seller to be a 1988 is on its way to me and I've just registered as had no idea about this bass collection till I stumbled across this site in what appears to have been a pleasing twist of fate. It's the serial number sticker "27350 Japan" that's interesting as it conflicts with the theory of the 6 digit format and the first two numbers representing the year. Now I've chucked that in there, I would love to hear any of your thoughts as to its history while I wait like a kid in a toy shop for my bass to be delivered.

• 5 years later...
On 07/08/2017 at 12:55, Happy Jack said:

Well my first thought is that neither the serial number sticker nor the Made In Japan sticker look like anything I've seen on an SGC Nanyo before.

Have you checked inside the control plate cover?

Mine, which I've just reacquired, had the made in japan sticker and a serial of 27019 both on the cavity cover and in the vaity itself.

Any idea of age, in the end?

Sorry to resurrect a thread!

:)