Why become a member? ×

Local help with bass set-up in Leicestershire needed please

j1mu5

A bit of a long shot and really quite a cheeky request to be fair. I've currently got a Ibanez GSR190 and have been told it could do with having the action being lowered and probably a new set of strings fitting.

I know a local guitar store would do this but I would really like to learn how to do it myself. Is there any one local to me that wouldn't mind going through the basics of it one weekend as that would really help as I quite concerned I might doing something wrong. Failing that has any one got a good guide on how to do it? Thanks in advance.

Edited by j1mu5

It's not really a "cheeky request" - I think you'll find many BC members are happy and willing to help a local fellow member....
There are indeed, plenty of Youtube videos also out there....

First off though - who was it that told you it needed a set-up? Was it a local shop, touting for business? lol Do you find your bass comfortable to play? It might be that raising or lowering the action makes it less playable for you. I know people who've had their instruments professionally set up, only to find it's less comfortable for them to play than they thought...

That said, most instruments should at least be checked over once in a while, for whether they need a set up, and it's no harm to at least know how the basics work. If you do decide to attempt it yourself - don't make too many adjustments at the same time, and don't give the truss-rod too many turns in any one go - leave it a while between adjustments

Best of luck, and I hope a local friendly BC member can help you out... might be worth editing the title of the thread, or starting a new thread with the title "Local help with bass set-up in Leicestershire needed please" - or something similar?

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1495017263' post='3300434']
Try checking here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/277468-bcers-prepared-to-help-fix-a-bass/"]http://basschat.co.u...elp-fix-a-bass/[/url]
[/quote]

Super useful thread thanks!, I'll might just PM a couple of people on that thread.

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1495018392' post='3300450']
It's not really a "cheeky request" - I think you'll find many BC members are happy and willing to help a local fellow member....
There are indeed, plenty of Youtube videos also out there....

First off though - who was it that told you it needed a set-up? Was it a local shop, touting for business? lol Do you find your bass comfortable to play? It might be that raising or lowering the action makes it less playable for you. I know people who've had their instruments professionally set up, only to find it's less comfortable for them to play than they thought...

[/quote]

Yeah the people that have met so far have all been really nice and helpful, defiantly a good group of people on here.

My new bass teacher said the action was very high on the bass but as I only have 30 minutes lessons with them it would have taken to long to go through. I do think the action is too high at the moment especially when I get close to the 12th fret. I have tried a couple of basses with low actions and found them much easier to play.

I have taken your advice and changed the thread title as well, thanks for the useful info.

[quote name='j1mu5' timestamp='1495094217' post='3301135']
All sorted now thanks to Andyjr1515
[/quote]

That's great news :)
See, most of us on here are a friendly helpful bunch - didn't I say that? lol

Always good to watch someone else doing a set up, so you can appreciate what needs to be done and why....
And to learn how to have a dabble yourself is definitely no bad thing

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1495094545' post='3301142']
That's great news :)
See, most of us on here are a friendly helpful bunch - didn't I say that? lol
[/quote]

I can't argue with you there, everyone I've met and spoke to has been really friendly and helpful.