Why become a member? ×

Meter reader claims to be guitarist then abuses my basses

Twigman

Sounds like a right cheeky douchebag. Must have been very tempting to tell him to feck right off and keep his dirty mitts off. I know the score and now never have any of mine on display. I've had other people's kids paw at my guitars with jam covered fingers and when I kindly ask them not to their parents excuse them saying they're only curious and dont know any better. No but the bloody parents should

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1495188900' post='3301952']
Sounds like a right cheeky douchebag. Must have been very tempting to tell him to feck right off and keep his dirty mitts off. I know the score and now never have any of mine on display. I've had other people's kids paw at my guitars with jam covered fingers and when I kindly ask them not to their parents excuse them saying they're only curious and dont know any better. No but the bloody parents should
[/quote]

Years ago I took a year off during my degree to work for a biotech company as a job experience. The company found me a room in a house where the landlady also lived and took students providing room and dinner etc, until I could find a place of my own in the new city. She had a daughter with a 3 year old kid. One day after work I went downstairs and I asked Marina casually "so, did you have visitors today?". She said yes, and told me all about it. Except one detail. The kid was left unattended and found his way to my room which had the door open. Apparently he saw my guitar once and was fascinated by it and always wanted to go upstairs to look at it. Only he did more than looking. There was a lollipop stuck on the top of the guitar! :lol:

No damage, but Marina was mortified... and she always made sure my door was locked if the little kid was around when I was not at home :P

The problem with rude idiots is that they often don't know they're rude idiots; someone has to tell them. Unfortunately we're not always very good at that in this country, and I include myself there.

Of course, some people are completely aware that they cause upset and offence and don't care, or even enjoy it.

[quote name='bassjim' timestamp='1495183660' post='3301878']
This meter reader = idiot. Smart Meters: There was a program on radio 2 Jeremy Vine about these. They all have a compatibility problem from one supplier to the next. They don't work properly and the program highlighted several customers being overcharged by thousands as a result. (although they did get it sorted out).
One expert they had on said the tech was already out of date and it would be too expensive to upgrade the whole network so that they would work satisfactory so the whole concept as it stands is flawed.
So really its a "Not so smart meter."
[/quote]

But if you don't pay your bill on time, they can change your meter to a prepayment meter at the touch of a computer keyboard. They can also set the bill on it remotely.

No more need to bother with warrants or locksmiths to enter your property and change your meter.

Just one day your electricity or gas will switch itself off and you'll get a payment card in the post.

And people though it was all to do with lowering energy usage and accurate readings...........yeah that'll be right.

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1495133518' post='3301593']
Are you sure about that? My understanding is they can be read remotely but only by a person coming round to your property. The idea being that the person doesn't need to enter the property. But a bit like blutooth or Wi-Fi you need to within a certain proximity of the device to read the data from the device.
I just can't see how else they would work without piggy backing into the homeowners Wi-Fi but that would be a real can of worms.
[/quote]
Certainly OVO Energy took all my house meter readings, every month, without ever coming to the house. They also re-set the meter readings to "0000" when I changed to another "provider".

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1495174856' post='3301780']
We had some G4S moron a few months back just days after I've submitted meter readings online. He got quite aggressive in tone with my wife when she wouldn't let him in. Am sure he really was meter reading but I don't think he knew which power company we use and couldn't explain much about why he needed to do it when we do it ourselves. You never know who is about and once they're in your home anything could happen. Lucky my wife stands her ground and she firmly told him to get off our property.
[/quote]
They use agency readers. She could always use the old one of. "I'm a woman on my own, and you're not coming in without a police officer being present. Would you like me to call them?"

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1495282630' post='3302691']
I presume this is the meter reader ? If so, yeah, I share your horror.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltmIJTWEeXs[/media]
[/quote]

:lol:

I love some of the comments...

[quote]ELEPHANT FART, ELEPHANT FART, [b]some jazzy licks[/b], ELEPHANT FART.[/quote]

[quote]You should make this "music" to fat people fighting and walking.[/quote]

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1495188900' post='3301952']
[/quote]
I used to have a bunch of wooden percussion instruments kind of on display in our living room. A mate of mine came 'round one day with his two daughters. At one point he asked if he could use my computer to send an email, which meant going upstairs. He said his kids would be fine alone in the living room for a couple of minutes...

When we got back down, just a few minutes later, they had taken all of the instruments and put them in a pile in the middle of the room. I was a little annoyed by this because they hadn't even played the, but not nearly as annoyed as I was when I discovered deep teeth marks in every single one of them. Apparently they needed to taste them all before discarding them!

Mind you, they're not the brightest kids, if they'd been left any longer they'd have started licking the windows...

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1495295514' post='3302809']
I love some of the comments...
[/quote]

The video of him playing his 9 string non-bass guitar is worth a watch too! LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkBizJIX-Kg

Edited by clivem