Why become a member? ×

Meter reader claims to be guitarist then abuses my basses

Twigman

A meter reader came round the other morning.
A chatty man, he was.
I showed him to the cupboard under the stairs, to read the meters, which is in the corner of the lounge.
He spotted some basses sat on their stands over in the annex to the lounge which I call my studio.
"I play guitar," he says " I've got an Ibanez [something or other] with Seymour Duncans"
He wanders across the room
"Oh nice Musicman," he says
He pulls the E string as far as he can then THWACK it whacks back on the fretboard.
He then grabs the Status necked P next to it and does the same.
The action on the StatusP is very very low and the E string whacked back on the full length of the fretboard.
"The action's too low on those, they're unplayable," he says "Where's your Jazz? Every pro has a Jazz - Ahh there it is, pointing to my JV P"
I point out to him that I'm not a pro and that I play with fingers and a fairly light touch and that they're perfectly playable and that the 'Jazz' is actually a Precision.....
"Nah" he says and turns for the door....?

wtf was that all about?

wtf is you not saying something the moment he walks towards your basses? take some ownership here. obviously his behaviour is out of line but the moment he crosses that line say 'excuse me but those are mine and I dont want you touching them, epsecially if you are going to treat them like that'.
I would report him to whomever provides your gas or electric.

Obviously The guy dosen´t know how to behave.
Honestly, i can imagine myself getting caught by surprise and not saying anything at the moment, but i would feel ashamed for complaining to the company when at the right moment i kept my mouth shut.
IMO, The next time guy entered my place, and IF he even tried to touch my basses... i would give him the hint.

[quote name='A.G.E.N.T.E.' timestamp='1495026584' post='3300577']
can imagine myself getting caught by surprise and not saying anything at the moment, [/quote]
That's me
[quote name='A.G.E.N.T.E.' timestamp='1495026584' post='3300577']
but i would feel ashamed for complaining to the company when at the right moment i kept my mouth shut.
IMO,
[/quote]
That too

I had my P Bass leaning on the sofa when I had someone round to service the washing machine.
"Is that the Nate Mendel" he said and went to pick it up.
I told him not to touch it as I had just reset the neck, and was letting it settle.
He soon got the message.

Edited by Hobbayne

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1495029255' post='3300630']
Did he ask if he could touch your gear? I'm happy to let people play mine AFTER they've asked.

As others have said get in touch with his employers.
[/quote]

I'm happy after they've asked, and then washed their hands!

:)