Why become a member? ×

What do people reckon to this?

FinnDave

I'm interested to know what the general bass playing population reckon to the bass sound on this. It is one track from a gig last week, the one on which I damaged my bass and my amp failed (not at the same time!).

I was just editing the tracks to go up on the band's soundcloud, and thought the bass sounded interesting.

[url="https://soundcloud.com/finndave-1/thrill-has-gone?in=finndave-1/sets/the-eagle-watchfield"]Thrill Has Gone[/url]

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1495030948' post='3300672']
I like it, sounds great to me
[/quote]

Thank you, but can you say what it is about the bass tone that sounds good? I usually play Precisions, but was using a Jazz on this track, and am pleasantly surprised by the tone it produces. It is a sound I would like to get consistently.

(Just clicked on your you tube link and found it was the same song! Another good version of this classic. Also note it was recorded in Skelmersdale, I drove up there from Oxford 4+ years ago to buy the amp I was using on the gig linked above!)

Edited by FinnDave

Thanks, I have been listening to the second half of the gig, when I was using a Precision (my Jazz fell over and damaged a string) and the sound seems muddier to me.
I was played both basses through the same ABM 500 evo II and Barefaced Super Twin. The 'Thrill' track I linked to used a 2015 US standard Jazz with Flats and played with a heavy pick. I think it's the most satisfying sound I've managed to get from a bass, clear but with some real growl to it. Just hope I can get it again!

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1495024582' post='3300545']
I'm interested to know what the general bass playing population reckon to the bass sound on this...
[/quote]

It's as well you're asking about the bass sound, as the less said about the rest, the better (although as it's a 'live' take in less than perfect conditions, one may forgive quite a lot...).
Burpy, solid, authoritative tone, then, from the bass, which carries the track along nicely. Not convinced by the more rapid 'run-downs' at the turn-around, which are rushed for the most part and should be either cut down (play alternate notes..?), practised (is it worth it..?) or replaced with a turn-around of your own (that's what I'd do..!). It shouldn't be that hard to get [i]that [/i]sound regularly; that's one of the 'signature' Jazz tones, and works in many situations. Be aware that, as with most things in life, abuse can tire the audience, so using a different timbre from the instrument's range would be recommended on numbers that support it. Altogether a fine bass, in context; Good Work, lad.
Hope this helps.

Cheers, Dad, I made sure we started a bit slower last night, our drummer has a tendency to push things on a bit, and parts of 'Thrill' have been getting rushed. Different rig last night as venue was tight, so took Precision and small combo. The sound was nothing special, but at least it fitted the small stage!