Why become a member? ×

Lined fretless - gaps around fret lines?

roman_sub

Hi guys

If you saw a fretboard like the one in attachment - would you be concerned?

It's supposed to be ebony fretboard with maple lines. It looks like some of the ebony shrank / chipped away around a few of the maple lines?

Is that common with lined fingerboards, any idea what caused it? How serious is it?

Assuming it's a defect, presumably a fix would involve some sort of ebony dust + glue?

thanks in advance for your views!

cheers
Roman

Edited by roman_sub

[quote name='roman_sub' timestamp='1495038473' post='3300776']
thanks. Apparently this was a factory fretless from Sandberg...!
[/quote]

I think 'factory fretless' generally involves the bass starting life as a fretted and being de-fretted in the factory before it sees the light of day. I gather it's cheaper than setting up aspects of production for what will inevitably be minimal numbers of fretless basses in the first place. It's also why FF basses tend to have their dots between the fret lines. I'd guess this is usually the case with larger operations where most aspects of production are batched or uniform.

I think it unlikely that a factory lined fretless will ever have actually had frets fitted. But it will have gone through the process of having had a saw blade cut the slots.

Any saw blade, no matter how sharp, will be pulling at the wood grain as it cuts and small whiskers of wood will be ripped out. This will leave small gaps in the grain. The fix is to do as Mamton Customs says, or have an unlined fingerboard.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1495272140' post='3302580']
I wouldn't give it a second thought, it will make no difference WHATSOEVER to how it plays.
[/quote]
Excuse me Sir, but this country has had enough of truth and experts, if you don't mind!

:P