Why become a member? ×

Should I get a Status S2?

Adethefade

Only you folks are going to understand - I've tried talking to my wife but she glazes over after the first syllable.

Owning all the Jazzes, Ps, Stingrays, Ricks & Steinbergers I can fit in the airing cupboard; should the next classic bass that I buy be a Status S2?

For...

They sound amazing
They look amazing
Headless is a joy when you're tight for space on stage.

Possibly against...

I played 5-string only for years, but I now love 4-string spacing so I use Hipshots for dropped D. Not possible with an S2 headless.
Not sure I'd want to go back to 5-string to solve the problem above
After a pint, I might play songs a tone too sharp by accident.
I am besotted with Stingrays right now - anything else will have to feel & sound pretty special
I've never played an S2

All input from my bass-playing chums welcome...

Ade

My main bass from 1986 till two years ago was a series II. Utterly awesome basses and far more versatile that many people think. I played in funk, pop, soul, metal and blues bands with that bass and never found it wanting.

Go for it! If you buy a used one and find, for some inexplicable reason, that you don't get on with it - you will be able to sell it on easily enough for what you paid for it. What's to lose? Expect to pay around £1200 for an eighties or nineties model.

Find one and try it out. Who are we to tell you what to play?

Question: Is the airing cupboard a good place to keep wooden instruments? IME the wood will dry out and crack when exposed to prolonged excessive warmth.

Edit: Answer - No, don't buy another bass until you've found a better place to keep them.

Edited by Grangur

S2 s are fabulous basses Ade as are most Statii

Think what Mrs Ade would say is check the string spacing and probably satisfy the Stingray urge first :-)

I don't have a problem switching between 4 s , 5 s or 6ers , but spacing if too tight I do find a pain ( helps that I'm rubbish and don't give a * if I miss a note either )

Best bass I ever owned was Status S2 6 string , too good for me by miles when I had it but on reflection the one I shouldn't have got rid of , incredible set up , tone monster and looker to boot

If you need to " try " a 5 string Status with 18mm and 34 " scale headless ( not S2 , unfortunately ) drop me a pm and I'm sure I can sort something out

Remember bass is a disease and careful with humidity in that airing cupboard ;-)

Cheers

Gary

Thanks fellas, I really appreciate your input. I thought the airing cupboard would cause a panic - but it's OK, we got a combi boiler years ago so it's just a cupboard really. I'll PM v8Bass since we're both down the dusty end of the country. If I try one though, it'll probably be a no-brainer.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1495096728' post='3301180']
Isn't there a droppable bridge piece for headless basses? I'm sure I've seen one with a lever which pulls away from the body. I'll hit Google in a bit and see if I didn't dream it.
[/quote]

You may be thinking of the Steinberger Drop D bridge...

I'm fortunate to own a Status S2 and a couple of Stingrays. They are all wonderful to play, sound great and look fantastic (IMO) - so much so that I'm playing both the S2 and a Stingray at gigs even though my band set list doesn't mean that I have to change basses. I do prefer my S2 over my Stingrays however it's a very close call and both makes are top quality instruments that are very special in their own way.

If you're thinking of buying new then both makes are a significant investment. I traded in a Stingray and a Jazz to help pay for a new S2 but I've never had any regrets. I would suggest you go for a S2 if that's what your heart is set on rather than buy a different model Status with a view to trading up later, otherwise you would just be delaying getting what you really want. I appreciate the risk involved if you don't like it so buying 2nd hand may be the way to go but I doubt you would regret it regardless of whether buying new or 2nd hand.

Let us know what you decide to do please. B)

Regards

Gaz

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm sure an S2 is now on the cards. The only question is 4 or 5-string. If there was a drop D option on a 4-string there's be no contest, but then headless bridges are pretty quick to de-tune. I'll try to get 10 minutes on a 5-string and see how it feels. In the mean time I'm saving. They seem to command a price in the used market so a new one may be the best option.

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking about getting a Status too, probably an S2, and with a bonus coming my way my desire could soon become a reality.

But where to try? Do Status have a showroom or somewhere you can try befire you buy? It's a lot of money to spend to find I don't get on with it. I believe there is just the one standard neck profile; which other basses would you Status players compare it to?

I'd order direct as I have a specific idea of what I want.

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

I think they look amazing, though I've never played one. I do really like carbon fibre necks, I owned a Modulus Quantum 6 for almost 4 years.

Wonder what a pair of fretted and fretless 7 string basses would cost :).