Why become a member? ×

Good cab match for Aguilar Tonehammer 350

DanH71

Hi all,

What have/are people using with the Aguilar Tonehammer 350.
Just bought one from here (thanks Platypus) and am looking for a good cab match.

I play rehearsal at present but will play small to medium gigs.
I don't drive so want something nice and light.
Want a single 4ohm cab to get full juice from the amp head
And open to a 1x15 or 2 x10/12 config.

Barefaced I here you say? Aren't they mainly 8ohm?

What about purple Chilli? I don't know these myself but heard through the grapevine they were like Barefaced on a budget but with similar punch and small weight.

Any help and insights to what you have or have had or even know of would be much appreciated.

Dan

Aguilar DB212? Not very light though... Old-style Barefaced Compact? Should be able to get one of them for around £300. TKS?

I wouldn't worry too much about the impedance of the BF cabs to be honest. They are loud enough!

Edited by Conan

The difference between the 8 and 4 ohm rating on any amp will be minimal and barely noticeable in a band. What you [i]will[/i] notice is the number of speakers and, more importantly, the sensitivity of the cab.

I have a TH500 and use 1 or 2 Super Compacts. I reckon 1 SC with your TH350 would sound very good. This cab is pretty sensitive, which means your watts will make a lot more more volume so the 8 ohms rating shouldn't be the problem that you might find with other, less sensitive, 8 ohm cabs. The BB2 would also be a very good 1 cab solutions.

I'd give Alex at Barefaced a call and he can answer your questions.

[quote name='Sweeneythebass' timestamp='1495206560' post='3302173']
I'm no expert but a 4ohm retro 210 from barefaced will get you a lot from 350w if I had the cash that's what I'd buy and u reckon that's what Alex will say. If I had a spare £500 that's what I'd buy.
[/quote]

Yep, sound very nice with the TH amps as well, do the Retros.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1495211932' post='3302236']
Yep, sound very nice with the TH amps as well, do the Retros.
[/quote]

Thanks Lozz for that vote of confidence in my band and that's even before you have popped over to see them in the flesh! :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1495094426' post='3301139']
The difference between the 8 and 4 ohm rating on any amp will be minimal and barely noticeable in a band. What you [i]will[/i] notice is the number of speakers and, more importantly, the sensitivity of the cab.
[/quote]

This. If you really want to push the bass out, invest in more speaker surface area.