Why become a member? ×

GB Basses

basscki

Calling any GB Rumour and/or Spitfire owners past or present, I was just wondering if I could get feedback on your experiences informally on these instruments. They look to be very well built and capable instruments but I was curious how they work out in everyday use. Like any boutique bass thay aren't cheap so I want to get as much information as possible before I make my mind up.

Mine (and possibly others) are [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=128"]here[/url]. I treat them just like my other basses and gig with them regularly. If you are gonna get hung up on how much they cost then its probably best not to get one, there have been a few on here that have spent so much money on basses they are scared to take them out and end up selling.

Other than that they play and sound great. I had mine specifically built to be light weight and they are. Ian is trying to sell a Spitfire at the moment.

Hi Guys,

Mine Played superbly, set up great and had a massive range of tones........... However I always got the impression that the pickups and circuit dominated the sound of the instrument rather than the instrument having it's own tone..... sounds seemed forced rather than natural. Maybe it's me (quite likely) but I thought the flat tone was a little lacking in every department...... I'd spend whole gigs tweaking the circuit looking for "The Right Tone"

Great Instruments non the less !!

I would say the instruments do have their own tone as a result of the pups and circuit - same as an Alemic or Wal. If you dont like that sound then you wont like it. Lots of the other custom builders featured in these pages also now use their own pups and actives - lets face it if they all used EMG's then they would all sound the same. One of my GB's has not got the pups and curcuit because I wanted a different sound.

I use both of mine flat and use the actives to vary the tone depending on the song.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='32692' date='Jul 16 2007, 08:02 PM']Mine (and possibly others) are [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=128"]here[/url]. I treat them just like my other basses and gig with them regularly. If you are gonna get hung up on how much they cost then its probably best not to get one, there have been a few on here that have spent so much money on basses they are scared to take them out and end up selling.

Other than that they play and sound great. I had mine specifically built to be light weight and they are. Ian is trying to sell a Spitfire at the moment.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. If you're going to buy boutique you need to use it :)

Got my RumourIV in 2001 and wouldn't hesitate to recommend a GB bass to anyone. Quality of build is second to none, mine is gigged regularly and is a pleasure to play, beautifully balanced, lovely tone. I wipe the bass down after every Show, put it back in the case and its ready to go for the next Show. Fretboard is lemon- oiled 2 or 3 times a year, other than that, very low maintenance. Battery life is good, there really is no down side to these. I would imagine that the likes of Shuker/Overwater etc are the same, so its really down to personal preference. I wouldn't swop for anything. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Cheers
R.

[quote name='Toasted' post='33601' date='Jul 18 2007, 01:50 PM']Couldn't agree more. If you're going to buy boutique you need to use it :)[/quote]Damn right. I use my Shuke at every gig and rehearsal, and loving every second... nothing else is getting a look-in at the moment.
I can't understand people who pay a fortune for some OTT bells-&-whistles hippy sandwich showboat and then come over all Tap with it... "Don't touch it! Don't even look at it!". Bleh. The things are made to be [i]played[/i], for god's sake.

Well, it's that new car feeling isn't it?

When it's new and pristine you like to keep it clean, are careful with it etc.

And as soon as someone puts a dent in the door or you get a chip in the paintwork, you're not as bothered anymore.

It's like that for guitars for me, you want to keep it perfect for as long as possible, but once it's damaged a little bit, it's like "Ah, f*** it, I'm just gonna have fun with it"

I never get like that,I understand the want to keep something nice and pristine regarding value,but play it properly or dont bother....

Tickling it wont give it life,horn players call it 'playing it in' ,strings players thrash the cr@p out of their doghouses and violins to break them in,and I agree,its taken 8 years to get my Fender right and thats not just mods and tweeks,about 05-early 06,summat changed and it got nastier.

GBs look nice,but its the sound you are buying,and thats a risk if you have never played one......given price I'd wanna try one first.

I used to have a (very) custom Rumour 5-string, and it was a great bass... but, as wth all things custom, you never quite know how the bass is going to sound in a band environment until you actually get it. My Rumour just didn't cut it in a loud rock band - the tone got totally lost in the mix, even after some Bernie doing some tweaks to the EQ to get more mids out of it. So it ended up getting sold, alas.

It was a shame - it was a fantastic bass, a real labour of love too, as the body shape was unique, even the headstock was reshaped to accomodate two Hipshots. In retrospect, I'd have gone with a very different wood selection.

I say go for it, but only if you're sure you'll get the right tone for your band. Bernie may well loan you one to rehearse with, just to be sure.

[quote name='ARGH' post='33915' date='Jul 18 2007, 11:40 PM']Tickling it wont give it life,horn players call it 'playing it in'[/quote]

funny that, because horn instruments all sound best when they're new because like a set of strings, metals resonate best when they are new. Old ones just tend to sound dull and quiet.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='34180' date='Jul 19 2007, 03:46 PM']Interesting. What was the wood selection?

Alex[/quote]

Fairly simple really... swamp ash body, quilt maple top, maple fingerboard, maple/walnut laminate neck. To be honest, I'm not sure it was just the woods (I've had other basses with similar wood selections, and not had a problem with them), I think the voicing of the pickups and the preamp were just as much at fault.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='34317' date='Jul 19 2007, 08:15 PM']funny that, because horn instruments all sound best when they're new because like a set of strings, metals resonate best when they are new. Old ones just tend to sound dull and quiet.[/quote]

Miles Davis and Dizzy would argue against that. As would the majority of Horns players I know,and Sax guys/girls.

[quote name='Russ' post='34440' date='Jul 20 2007, 02:43 AM']Fairly simple really... swamp ash body, quilt maple top, maple fingerboard, maple/walnut laminate neck. To be honest, I'm not sure it was just the woods (I've had other basses with similar wood selections, and not had a problem with them), I think the voicing of the pickups and the preamp were just as much at fault.[/quote]

I think this is another proof that wood dosent really affect tone,it sounds to me if things would be better if the Bass were given a longer scale or just ripping out the electrics for anything else as .......if you were looking for a more aggro tone,I would have rammed in some EMGs,its a bit longball,but they are the best for noisey styles.