Why become a member? ×

Good value active PA cabs - recommendations

The Alto TS115a are great value - good sound and light...BUT the drivers are notorious for breaking. I had 1 go on me whilst djing and its not a nice sound!

The do go loud, but they clip very easily (around 11 oclock) - look for the red light. Obviously if you use these (or the 12s) with subs then they will be less stressed.

The TS112a is good, the bass is tighter, but not as deep sounding.

I ended up with a pair of DXR12s. Brilliant speaker, ultra reliable, 3 channel mixer on the back and 7 year warranty! (double the price of the Altos though). The wooden DSRs are richer sounding, but more expensive again.

Id be tempted to go second hand for around if youre looking the £300-400 mark.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1495205813' post='3302162']
Haha, yes it was you, and im glad you didnt, im not sure this would have worked as well ;-)

[attachment=245617:hondatiller800.jpg]
[/quote]
I dunno, the wheels make it easy to move...

• 2 months later...

Bit of a thread revival, sorry about that :lol:
We are looking to buy some of the RCF ART 712-A. If we get them, could we potentially put kick and a little bit of bass through them?
Or would we need subs too? We have subs, i'm just trying to work out what we need going forward.

We've got the 712's, and they're excellent for the money. We put full band through the PA and use the RCF subs crossovers, so you get some of the high end bass and kick drum through the tops. So, if you're after hearing the bass and kick, then it will work, but don't expect low end rumbles etc if you're just using the tops.

Managed to pick an RCF 905 AS II up second hand for £500 recently with a cover, so would suggest saving for one of those if you can - light enough, and plenty powerful.