Why become a member? ×

Bass with capo?

josie

[quote name='BassAgent' timestamp='1495223400' post='3302338']
I used one at my graduation concert, on a 5-string with high C in an alternate tuning (can't remember what it was :mellow:) to play a James Vincent McMorrow song.
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtmYzr4pcD0"]https://www.youtube....h?v=AtmYzr4pcD0[/url]
[/quote]

Beautiful.

Best of all... neither of you looked like nuns!

I considered it only recently. One of my bands decided to start playing Steely Dan's 'Josie' which makes much use of an open E string. Trouble is the singer also decided he couldn't sing it unless it was in D. Capo on the 3rd fret of a 5er would have done it but in the end I just decided to cut short the low D a fraction to give me time to get up the dusty end for those little slidey bits. Although I still miss occasionally :) It has a greater impact on the guitar parts, though and doesn't quite sound the same.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1495262292' post='3302473']

I like the idea as a "get out of jail free" option to have in the bag when jamming but I'd want to relearn, in my own time, the tune on an open fretboard later. I don't have any tunes in my rep that require special tunings other than drop D for which I have a five. I like to keep things simple.
[/quote]
Sure but I only play st OM nights and get zero practice time so it's my best option