Why become a member? ×

Quality and value for money gig bags

CliveT

I'm sorry as I'm sure this has been discussed before but I couldn't find a recent thread.

I'm looking for a good quality gig bag but that's also good value for money. If money was no object then I'm sure I'd go for a top of the range Mono or similar.

I already use a standard Hiscox hard case for when we travel so I'm looking for a something as lightweight as possible as I'll be walking a little with it. I don't need loads of pockets and storage, just want to carry the bass and strap, tuner, sheet music etc

So, can you recommend a good quality but also value for money gig bag. I'm currently leaning towards the Mono Bass Sleeve, currently priced at around £125 but what else is out there?

Edited by CliveT

I like the idea of the Mono Sleeve and the top loading feature looks secure.
Would you say the Gator offers more protection? Are both the Gator and Mono rigid enough to stand up when empty?
I've used cheaper gig bags in the past the bottom of them gives no protection when you put them down a little too hard, and they are so flimsy that they fall down when empty.

The Sleeve is a good bag, with thick padding all around. However, I would say the Gator is a more substantial bag all round. The inside has a nice big cushion for the bass to sit on.

The Sleeve has a thinner sponge pad. Still sufficient for most bumps I'm sure.

Edited by walbassist

I use a Mono Sleeve with my Fenders and it will stand up while empty. I was quite surprised by how substantial it is, actually.

The pocket is massive; that's the main reason I bought it as I need to carry a laptop sometimes. There is internal protection for the bass at the bottom, but the Sleeve itself doesn't have any external protection like the other Mono bags.

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1495180525' post='3301837']
The Sleeve is very nice, I've owned two, but you can get the Gator ProGo for under £100, which has better neck protection (if your bass has an angled headstock I would not recommend the sleeve) and way more storage.

[/quote]
I have one of these and its an awesome product. Loads of protection and pockets. The straps and hardware feel military grade.
Not quite as comfy on your back as its quite bulky but i guess that's because of the protection it offers. And it will cheerfully stand up on its own - its not even slightly floppy.

A cheaper and floppier option that still gives decent quality and protection is the TGI Extreme (the newer version thats black and grey rather than the black and blue old one). Its about £40. It doesnt have the lower edge protection that the more expensive ones have so you need to be a bit more careful putting it down but its ok. I've had one for a few years with no issues and its used most weekends. And it stands up on its own too.......

Edited by Mudpup