Why become a member? ×

Fender 50's P Bass solid shaft pot knob size???

mr.noisy

Hey guys,

Just wanted to know if anyone could help me with replacing the knobs on my 50's P Bass. Got it few months ago and it came with gold bridge and gold knobs installed. The owner included the original bridge, but didn't have the original knobs. I wanted to bring it back to the chrome as I don't really like the gold hardware on it (and tuners are chrome too).

So, first I tried to put some knobs that I have taken out from a Squier P bass body that I had lying around from a project, but these were on a different shaft style (spline) and didn't fit, so I got a set from ebay. According to the description, these should fit on a shaft up to 6mm diameter, but these do not fit too.

I have tried to measure the pots but these are slightly tapered on the top, so I can't really be accurate with a normal ruler, same with knobs, and when I lay it on the pots and knobs, it all really look like 6mm, but obviously there must be some size difference as the gold one fit and silver don't. Now I am not sure if the replacement ones are incorrect as these were cheap 5 quid ones, or if the pots are indeed bigger than 6mm.

I have tried to google it, and I think that the original Fender part is[size=4] [font=ArialMT]0991366000, which says 1/4" and that is equivalent of something like 6.35mm, and then when I search for replacement knobs of 1/4", usually in the description it says 1/4" - 6mm, and that makes me even more confused, and on the original Fender part in most places, details just say 1/4".[/font] [font=ArialMT]I just don't want to spend 20 or more quid on original Fender knobs just to find that these do not fit too. So, now, do you think that I might have non original pots installed? Do you know of any replacement knobs with bigger diameter than 6mm, with flat top (want to keep it as close to the Fender as I can)?[/font][/size]

[font=ArialMT][size=2][/size][/font]

Edited by mr.noisy

These ones should do the job - [url="http://www.axesrus.co.uk/Barrel-Knob-Flat-p/ns003.htm"]http://www.axesrus.co.uk/Barrel-Knob-Flat-p/ns003.htm[/url]

6.3mm will fit a 1/4" shaft. The extra 0.3mm doesn't sound like much but it's critical!

Thanks guys, so just like I thought, 6.3 then.

Axesrus is quite cheap, but they don't have chrome in stock, and neither the nickel one.

Will search some more and if I won't find any cheaper ones, I'll go for WD music then.

Thanks again

I used a couple of the flat topped knobs in your illustration on my Bitsa P. They came from a Squier. The holes in them were a little too small for the standard CTS pot shaft. I clamped them in a vice (with some card between them and the jaws to protect them) and drilled them out slightly (use a bit that is only a whisker larger than the hole or they will be loose). They turned out to be brass, so nice quality items. They fit fine now and look the part