Why become a member? ×

Just one pedal?

lowdowner

Apologies if this has been asked before but...

I don't have *any* pedals, I've always thought maybe I'd learn to play my bass 'properly' first and then try out some pedals.

Now I'm bored of waiting to get good enough to excuse buying a pedal so.. if you bought just one - or you were starting again and wanted to buy your first pedal - what would it be?

I'm not so fussed with flexibility, more what would be fun/wow-factor/interesting?

+1 for the B3 (going for £100 or so second hand on the FS section) or the newer B3n model, but which will set you back a little more. Plenty with either to provide you with fun / variety / creativity for combining effects; and a number of the emulations are pretty good (others less so) and will also give you an idea of what dedicated pedals you might subsequently want to take the plunge with.

Btw I 100% agree with your approach of wanting to [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]learn to play your bass 'properly' first and [i]then[/i] trying out pedals. I've got a sneaky suspicion that pedals could otherwise mask a multitude of bass playing sins :) [/font][/color]

I think it would depend on my needs, but if starting out and wanting a pedal for extra sounds I`d prob go chorus or flanger, whereas now it would be a preamp/DI pedal with drive on it (which is in fact my only pedal).

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1495240144' post='3302448']
I think it would depend on my needs, but if starting out and wanting a pedal for extra sounds I`d prob go chorus or flanger, whereas now it would be a preamp/DI pedal with drive on it (which is in fact my only pedal).
[/quote]
I like your thinking, a nice BB Xotic or if you want a few stomp options a Sandsamp VT Deluxe.

Why is no-one saying compressor? I've never owned one or any other effect but it's the sort of thing I keep thinking I ought to get without really knowing why. I've watched a lot of compressor demo videos but the A/B difference is usually slight (to my old ears) so would it even be noticeable in a live band?

fuzz for me, as you said 'fun' :) I always smile when I step on a fuzz pedal, more so than other effects. But there is no right answer, which is why between 10 odd replies you have had compressor, octaver, filter, overdrive, fuzz and modulation!! and multi fx.

Edited by GazWills

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1495225978' post='3302373']
I'd spend £40 on a cheap Zoom multi effect pedal. It's just a good way to give you an idea what effects you might like.

I might have said the Digitech Bass Synth Wah, but I don't think they make them anymore.
[/quote]

Now that's the one use of the multi-effects unit I agree with.

Blue

[quote name='plankspanker' timestamp='1495279682' post='3302665']
Why is no-one saying compressor? I've never owned one or any other effect but it's the sort of thing I keep thinking I ought to get without really knowing why. I've watched a lot of compressor demo videos but the A/B difference is usually slight (to my old ears) so would it even be noticeable in a live band?
[/quote]

Compression is not really an effect in the traditional sense.

Blue