Why become a member? ×

Slap and 12 string basses... and it's funkstastic!

mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1495295910' post='3302811']
Oh yes:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S8XfTcGEyo[/media]

I love how it has the octave 'effect' built in. Tasty.
[/quote]

Awesome.

But is it bass playing?😈

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1495298907' post='3302844']
I'm not much of a fan of slap, but this, I like.

Blue
[/quote]

Slap has been badly abused, but done with taste it's like any other technique and can be pretty cool. One of my favourite slapped basslines is "Forget me nots", played by Freddie Washington, like this:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5QYSu9xaTE[/media]

the actual slap starts at around 30 seconds. It also shows just how nice a Precision can sound slapped. You hear a lot of scooped tones, lots of Jazz bass with both pickups on... I like my mids, and this is beautiful.

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1495299487' post='3302847']

Slap has been badly abused, but done with taste it's like any other technique and can be pretty cool. One of my favourite slapped basslines is "Forget me nots", played by Freddie Washington, like this:

the actual slap starts at around 30 seconds. It also shows just how nice a Precision can sound slapped. You hear a lot of scooped tones, lots of Jazz bass with both pickups on... I like my mids, and this is beautiful.
[/quote]

P-bass slap is cool - much more up my street than a jazz with both pickups or a Stingray with all the knobs maxed!
The 12-string is a lot of fun too. I miss my old 8-string, but mine was converted from a cheap 4-string and the neck only held up for about 3 years before the truss rod could cope no more...

I like this muchly and this guy has great technique, having seen a few of ihs other vids. That said i'm still not sure about these You Tube 'professionals' who seem like one step up from bedroom noodlers. As with guitar I really only like listening to bass when it meshes with other instruments.

I enjoyed that way more than I was expecting! What a great way to take boring ole slap bass! It has given me some great ideas (sadly not including a 12 string bass... yet!)

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1495300723' post='3302855']
Thanks for that...now I've got GAS for a 12 string.... :angry: :angry:
[/quote]

Price up the cost of a re-string. That'll soon cure it. :D

Edit: I wonder if the TR is reinforced in there? The tension on the neck will be something else.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1495547887' post='3304654']
Ugh, hate this guy and his attention-seeking clickbait channel. I'm sure he's great, but he comes up on every bass related search on YT, and it's always some awful novelty party trick, he creeps me out massively.
[/quote]

:lol:

can't please everyone, and that's ok

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1495299487' post='3302847']

[/quote]
Nah, can't be any good, he's got a music stand in front of him :o :ph34r:

On my last band's ep I did slap on a Hamer 12. It's much more difficult than most people think. For a start, the string spacing is quite narrow and people that have wider fingers would struggle to get their index finger under to pull without playing the next 3 strings.

Action is crucial. I appreciate that everyone has different tastes, but if you want it as stupidly low as I do, you'll have to go the whole hog of fret stoning and possibly saddle filing. Mine plays like butter now thanks to Martin at the Gallery.

I wished I had more of a chance to use it these days. I seem to be playing my Wal more. For all of you who are possibly gassing for one, I give you a few words of caution. You'll suck all the top end of the guitar signal if you use it properly. Once this is noticed, you've got problems. They'll love you for that. It's an immensely difficult instrument to record right. You really need a clean low end and distortion on top to get the best out of it. The sonic space it takes up is mind boggling. If you're going to use it it kind of has to be the centrepiece of the instrumentation as it takes over everything. If you're a precision with flats person, this probably isn't for you.

I love mine. It just kills.