Why become a member? ×

'Fender' P bass w/fretless Jazz neck on Gumtree

Derek1071

Looks dodgy to me. He states replica body. but the neck and logo look wrong to me, as does the colour of the lacquer on the back of the neck. Could be lighting, but I've seen that colour before on cheaper necks, and those dots...wtf?! Looks more like a P Bass nut width too.Those neck plates and logos are easy to get.

Edited by Chiliwailer

The strings don't line up with the magnets in the pup. That would rather indicate the pickguard isn't the same shape as the one originally designed for that bass.

The neck also looks like a pretty average to poor defret job.

I'd give it a wide berth.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='el borracho' timestamp='1495304881' post='3302887']
Looks to be a lot of black around the forearm cutaway - ply body???
[/quote]

Agreed - this is never a good sign. The body might just be from 1969, but if it is it's probably from Japan. And with the black around the contour, it's sandwiched at best, and could very well indeed be plywood.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1495467339' post='3303941']
It's a generic plywood or butcher block copy body - it's absolutely not 1969 because no such thing existed in 1969.
[/quote]
Can't have been a whole lot later they appeared, though, right? I suppose in '69 they were still a bit unshapely and not very Fender-like. By the mid 70's there were tons of them, though.

Edited by ZilchWoolham

Ha
I seen this also and sent the guy an email with a list of questions ...seems my questions were to invading as I am still waiting a reply ...
I was more curious to see how the replies would go ...
I would avoid this its not what it's made out to be ..also the fact he had to mention that it's way too cheap for what it is Eh ????

There are a lot of ropey "Fenders" about; it's a bit of a minefield!

One of the problems is when someone puts a transfer on one and then sells it; by the time it's changed hands once or twice more it all gets a bit blurred.