Why become a member? ×

Whats the longest you've had a bass for?

OliverBlackman

I have a 91 MIM Precision (one of the first Mex's) that I bought in 1993 and have used it for every gig since (with one exception). I occasionally use a back up bass for some songs just for the hell of it, I've had lots of different back ups.
Admittedly, I don't gig loads, but 24 years for my main bass.

Edited by James Nada

I bought a Yamaha BB1100s in 1987 and kept it til 1995. Other than that my current gigging US 2015 Precision, which I`ve now had for 2 years isn`t going anywhere unless I need to sell it for the money, I`ve done too much that holds dear to me with that bass to now offload it, 1st Rebellion Festival, 1st overseas tour, played on our 2nd album which is the recording I`m most proud of of anything I`ve ever done.

• Like 1

My Gibson Ripper (built in 1973 I think) was bought by me in 1979 and had been heavily used. It was the most amazing playing/sounding bass I'd ever tried and I'd dreamed of it as it sat in a shop for around 18 months. It was massively customised and re-finished in the next couple of years then used for pretty much every thin 'til my Status Series II arrived in 1985 (I then used both basses 'til I gave up playing seriously around 1990). I still have the Ripper and the Status, both in amazing condition. The former has been around for 38 years. The Status for 32 - both still get played but the Status much more these days - the Ripper is a vey big bass, though it still plays beautifully

This is dependent on age obviously... a 20 year old is not going to have owned the same bass for 30 years...

Although having played for nearly 20 years (with a big gap) l only discovered Wal a few years back and have since sold everything else...

I've only had my current bass for 2 years... ask me again in 30 years time.

I've had my Fender Musicmaster since 1993, my MIJ '51 Precision RI since 1994, and my CIJ '60s Jazz RI since 1997. Can't see myself getting rid of any of 'em any time soon, though I do occasionally think about moving the Musicmaster on as I never use it. If I did ever find myself in the position where I could only keep one, it'd definitely be the '51 - that's going nowhere!

Had my Shuker since 2012, and, apart from a bitsa as a back-up it is, and will probably remain my only bass (gas has completely gone). Only swithced to bass in around 2005, and this is my 3rd bass since then.

My Guild SA 90 guitar on the other hand I've had for 39 years.

Well since I got my first bass, an Aria SB700 for my 18th birthday in 1982 and I still have it and pull it out for a session now and then I guess the answer for me is 35 years! I've had my Wal Custom since 1992, 25 years and my Wal Pro IIE since 2001, so that's 16 years.

I've only had my Sterling just over a year but the longest I have kept a bass was my Stingray 5 that I bought new in 2000 and kept for 6 years. Coincidentally both basses are/were black, black scratch plate, ceramic pickup and rosewood fretboard

I have had about 120 basses in between those two ranging from amazing to dreadful and it wasn't necessarily the expensive ones that were amazing and vice versa.

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1495392601' post='3303435']
Well since I got my first bass, an Aria SB700 for my 18th birthday in 1982 and I still have it and pull it out for a session now and then I guess the answer for me is 35 years! I've had my Wal Custom since 1992, 25 years and my Wal Pro IIE since 2001, so that's 16 years.
[/quote]

Blimey that was quite an 18th birthday present Trevor! I got a bottle of champaign for mine, which I drank in one sitting and later deposited, back up the way it went down, in the Thames at Kingston. Happy Days. I was still on my fist bass I think - an awful Arbiter short scale thing.

P