Why become a member? ×

Reading the Rest

grumpyguts

I have made some progress learning to turn the dots on the page to the appropriate noise. This is ongoing development.

However, I am having trouble reading the bits where no noise is required. Is there any method that can be used to help with reading rests?

I'd start with subdividing the beats: 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and... this helps with quaver rests. Try playing a single quaver on each possible subdivision of the bar to learn what it 'feels' like - in the end it will be in muscle memory rather than 'counting'. Then subdivide down to seniquavers and do the same. I think I end up counting as 1 uh and uh 2 uh and uh 3 uh etc... (if that makes sense?!)

[quote name='moonbass' timestamp='1495315105' post='3302979']
I'd start with subdividing the beats: 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and... this helps with quaver rests. Try playing a single quaver on each possible subdivision of the bar to learn what it 'feels' like - in the end it will be in muscle memory rather than 'counting'. Then subdivide down to seniquavers and do the same. I think I end up counting as 1 uh and uh 2 uh and uh 3 uh etc... (if that makes sense?!)
[/quote]

+1
Use a metronome and count the beat.
I use 1 e & a, 2 e & a, 3 e & a, 4 e & a, etc

For every note there's an equivalent rest. Work out the patterns the notes make. Then all you have to do is substitute no note and call it a rest.

The count carries on the same whether there is a note or a rest.

Edited by chris_b

Hi, thanks for the replies. I'm hoping that if I stick with it at some point it will sink in to my 50 year old brain. I have been trying to count the subdivision's while playing but currently that's not working.

I don't need to know this stuff to play 2 hours of covers - but that's not really the point.

Don't I love rests. Some rests are very simple, but it can get a bit complicated until you're used to the music. One thing I do is subvocalise the rest... like a small hum in your head or a tiny tongue click instead of the note.

The critical thing with rests is knowing which ones are on the beat. Photocopy the page you're learning. Use a pencil to mark with a small vertical line every note or rest that's on the beat and number it with the beat number above. If a note is on the half beat, mark it with a +. There's a great trick with semiquavers but I'd need to do a diagram. I'll try and do an example later for you. Whether they are notes or rests though you need to have a strong sense of pulse.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1495315970' post='3302988']
For every note there's an equivalent rest. Work out the patterns the notes make. Then all you have to do is substitute no note and call it a rest.

The count carries on the same whether there is a note or a rest.
[/quote]

This +1...