Why become a member? ×

TC RS112 Amp Match

SamPlaysBass

I'm currently running a GK 700rb II into my 2 TC RS112 cabs as a lightweight set up for gigs with lots of stairs / festivals etc. I've got a fantastic Trace GP12 300 SMX 4x10 combo that I roll out when I can for the LOUD or unsupported gigs, but I'm looking to replace the GK with something smaller that can be locked in a little Pelicase I have laying around ready for festival season. (The GK isn't huge but bulky compared to the tiny cabs - and it's a bit top heavy!)

I appreciate the GK tone (that dry, piano-esque clarity) but ultimately, I don't love it. I love the immediacy and slight zing of the Trace, as well as the Valve pre-amp which gives a slight bit of warmth, so I'm heading more in that direction. I suppose I'm looking at something around 350 watts and class D. Luckily there's loads about, but where do I start?

As a note, I'm running a Sansamp to give a bit of warmth, and I generally play groovy blues / funk with quite a few slap-filled embellishments. I'm a busy player who likes bottom-end balls and a hint of zing without sounding sterile or dry. This setup will probably be a monitor or for smaller gigs where there may/may not be a channel in the PA for me.

I'm looking at either an Ashdown Retroglide (I like the 12 band, reminds me of the Trace and an amazing price at the minute), an ex-display Aguilar Tone Hammer 350 or possible a new Genzler Megellan 350 (I played through a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 a few weeks back and was amazed at how I could hear every note clearing even on a loud stage with ear-plugs in). With the exception of the Ashdown, I'd be buying online and probably not able to try before I buy (South Walian limitations).

My gut isn't too keen on the matching RS450/750 amps, but I've never tried them. Sounds silly but trust the gut! I could be swayed though. I've also had a tough time liking MarkBass stuff, even though it is so highly thought of.

I'd be happy to go second hand or brand new, somewhere around the £400 mark max. Any suggestions, thoughts, offers welcome!

I'll be running a MusicMan StingRay 4 2 band and a Sire V7 5 stringer though 'em.

Help!

Edited by Williams4S

I would give the RH450 or RH750 a play if you can. I run a RH450 with a RS212 and an RS210, and it is clear that the products have been designed to work well together. Yeah the RH heads can give you option paralysis but I find that running flat both my p bass and my active basses sound really good. It's also handy have awesome compression and a world class tuner on board.

• Like 1

I've got an RH450 with 2 RS112s.

It's a very useful rig, especially if you have the floor board for channel changing and mute/tuning.

As has been said they are made to work well together. You can run 3 rs cabs which is a bonus.

I find the amp has a lot of inbuilt compression, even with the compressor and tubetone off. Sometimes you want a really open tone and I just can't seem to get that. This seems most noticeable when using my Stingray and also the Sire V7 on active. Sounds good with the passive P and V7 set to passive. Then again there is lot of demos and big name gigs being played with these amps and they seem to be able to get the open tone, so maybe I just haven't found it yet or it's my playing.

These seem very good value now, so a definitely a good value amp. To be honest I've been thinking of a mesa walkabout, but the RH is so convenient, it's a one stop shop in a laptop bag.

Out of all the amps I`ve paired with a Sansamp I`ve found that Ashdown amps just gel best with them. How they would work with a TC cab however is a different matter that I`ve no experience of.

However I have used a full RH set-up and it sounded great, I`d prob look more at the 750 than the 450, so as to get the Tweetertone feature.

Cheers all for the input. Ive notice RH heads going for good prices (~£260 for a good condition RH450) but the RH750 seems to be holding its value really well.

By chance, I came across a Tecamp Puma 900 for a very good price and picked it up. Complete overkill power-wise but an extremely brilliant sounding amp. It's really shown me how clear the RS cabs are - almost studio monitor-esque clarity with this setup. I've turned the tweeters right down to harness some of the 'clack'. I'm having some teething problems with the Tecamp (cutting out, distortion at low gain) but I've given the amp the once over with some Servisol and some love and it's making a good recovery. It's also still under warranty so hopefully it'll be fighting fit soon!

Cheers again for the suggestions, very much appreciated. Will keep an eye out for a RH head or even a Staccato if the price is right as a back up.

Edited by Williams4S

• 3 weeks later...

[size=3]I have TC RS212, which, I guess, is kind of similar to your 2x RS112 in tone. The difference is impedance, my cab is 8[font=arial, sans-serif]Ω, yours is too, but you run two of them so you're at 4[/font][font=arial, sans-serif]Ω.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Anyway. I am feeding this cab with Markbass Big Bang (Class D) and I'm very happy with the overall tone I get from this combo. It's warm, yet with concrete bottom and clear, yet not sparkling transients. I'd say it's very suitable for jazz, blues, funk. VLE and VPF filters are very handy to carve that particular sound you want, though I mostly run it on flat EQ and filters anyway. Slap technique sounds great with this combo! However if I want to play rock, I need to add little dirt with pedal. [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]People familiar with both Big Bang and Little Marks say they sound different so chance is you may like it even though you didn't like other Markbass amps. I'd say it's definitely worth checking. I have no experience with Little Marks myself so I can't tell.[/font][/size]

Edited by oo.viper.oo