Why become a member? ×

Castors for combo

la bam

Hi all,
Just suffered a prolapsed disc in my back, which isn't pleasant, so I'm having to reassess my rig which is currently:
1) ashdown abm evoii 115 combo.
2) ashdown abm 2x10 ext cab.
I don't want to get into taking rock n roller trucks to gigs etc, so before I begrudgingly have to look for a lightweight option, is there any simple way I can fit castors or wheels to my combo without any loss of performance?

I love the amp, but would be a real help if it had built in wheels.

I don't want to get into separate dolly boards etc as all that happens is they get forgotten/left behind in the van etc and arent all that sturdy with the amp on.

Any help or ideas appreciated.

You'll need some 100mm or 125mm diameter casters, with rubber wheels (don't get polypropylene wheels, they are too hard). Most come with a 4 x screw baseplate attachment. A quick search on ebay should come up with plenty. I just ordered these today ...... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361363428635?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=630706515743&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The 125mm ones are bigger and heavier, but will be significantly smoother on rough car parks etc.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1495399257' post='3303510']
You'll need some 100mm or 125mm diameter casters, with rubber wheels (don't get polypropylene wheels, they are too hard). Most come with a 4 x screw baseplate attachment. A quick search on ebay should come up with plenty. I just ordered these today ...... [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361363428635?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=630706515743&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]http://www.ebay.co.u...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/url]

The 125mm ones are bigger and heavier, but will be significantly smoother on rough car parks etc.
[/quote]

I saw the thread title and was about to type exactly this. I've bought lots of 100mm rubber wheels for a number of different cabinets and I would say they have been SO helpful, especially as my own back isn't so great either!

[quote name='la bam' timestamp='1495401453' post='3303525']
Perfect! Cheers.

Daft question do you just drill the screws into the bottom of the cab?
[/quote]

Most of the time I have but for anything really heavy I've removed one of the drivers to get access to the inside of the cab and used big penny washers inside to spread the load and nuts & bolts

If you use a skate or dolly, attaching the cab with webbing straps makes it much more secure. You can get them with quick tensioning fasteners/adjusters - they are quick and easy to put on/take off. Mine are Thule, because they are what I use with my roof rack, but plenty of companies make them. They're not expensive. I find castors permanently attached to a cab a nuisance.

I`ve got the 100mm ones of those recommended by hamfist. I used self-tappers to attach them to my ABM410. Was a doddle. And they are great wheels, my cab is now faster than my car! But seriously, well worth it.

Be careful of that back! I would suggest you go for a lighter weight option if you can.

Don't be in a hurry to drill into you cabs - a dolly board with a tensioner strap will help you should you need to sell your gear at any point (to go lighter) - any mods could put off potential buyers.

If you do need to mod your cab, the removable wheels are probably the best shout for minimal impact.

Remember, if you mount the wheels on the bottom of the cabs, you will change the sound of them as the sound won't couple the same (which may or may not be preferable).

All sorted!

B&Q had a sale on - managed to get 8 wheels for £6 ! (4 for each cab).

Fitted them last night, very easy to do. I used one of the screw positions in the corner bracket as a start for each which made them nice and symeytrical and balanced.

And ..... flippin eck! It's miles easier to move about! Why I didn't do this ages ago I'll never know.

[quote name='la bam' timestamp='1495721296' post='3306143']
All sorted!

B&Q had a sale on - managed to get 8 wheels for £6 ! (4 for each cab).

Fitted them last night, very easy to do. I used one of the screw positions in the corner bracket as a start for each which made them nice and symeytrical and balanced.

And ..... flippin eck! It's miles easier to move about! Why I didn't do this ages ago I'll never know.
[/quote]

Good man !!

Love my casters too.

Out of interest anyone know where to get replacement Ampeg removable castors for pf210he? Been trying Polar Audio but seem there is a problem with their site. Not worried if they're not genuine parts as long as they fit/are compatible with the existing sockets

Edited by Booooooom

Ooh...sorry about the back. Make sure you look after it at all costs!

Many years ago...actually before my back problems rather ironically...I fitted castors to the bottom of a Trace Elliot 15" combo. Best thing I could have done. Can't really remember exactly what castors I used but they did have an insert that they pushed into....which made them removable.