Why become a member? ×

Cheap tuner v tc polytune

T-Bay

I am looking at making a more compact pedal board for some gigs so will leave out the B3 which I presently use as a tuner. I like the look of the tc polytune2 (3 is on its way I believe) but have spotted cheap ones on AliExpress for about £12-15.

Has anyone had any experience of them? A bit wary but also think electronic tuners SHOULD be as good as the circuit design so could be ok. So second hand tc or similar for £30-50 or new Chinese for less than £15?

Go for the TC if you have the cash for it.

I have both the TC Polytune2 Mini and the Boss TU-3 and highly recommend both.

Edit: Korg have some affordable tuners also

Edited by Byo

I've been looking for a used TC on ebay but they just get a little too expensive for me. So I ended up getting a used Boss TU2 for just over £30. Yes it's more than a budget one but I think you need a good tuner, with true bypass or a good buffer and the muting when on means I can tune and switch basses in silence.

Iv got a Boss tuner and a cheap chinese one. cant really fault the cheapo one its got a nice bright display and does just as good of a job as the Boss at muting the signal and tracking. it probably wont last as long as the boss as there pretty well built, but for the £16 i spent its spot on

This one does it for me. It sits in my tuner out and is fine and dandy.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PT-06-Guitar-Pedal-Tuner-Chromatic-Pedal-Tuner-True-Bypass-for-Electric-Guitar-/401195568828?hash=item5d691e8ebc

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1495477724' post='3304072']
This one does it for me. It sits in my tuner out and is fine and dandy.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PT-06-Guitar-Pedal-Tuner-Chromatic-Pedal-Tuner-True-Bypass-for-Electric-Guitar-/401195568828?hash=item5d691e8ebc
[/quote]
That is the exact one I was looking at on AliExpress oddly. There are hundreds on there with subtle differences and no two at the same price!

I might give a cheap,one a try and keep my eye open for a tc one at sensible money.

I've got a Korg Pitchblack (although that's for sale atm), a Behringer Boss clone, a Korg Handheld one, a clip on ebay special and the one on my Kemper here and they're all pretty much as good as the next when it comes to tuning.

If it's going to be in your signal chain then maybe you'd want a nicer one but if it's on a 'tuner out' or similar then just go for the first one you see at a decent price IME.

Edited by Jack

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1496161565' post='3309240']
I've got a Korg Pitchblack (although that's for sale atm), a Behringer Boss clone, a Korg Handheld one, a clip on ebay special and the one on my Kemper here and they're all pretty much as good as the next when it comes to tuning.

If it's going to be in your signal chain then maybe you'd want a nicer one but if it's on a 'tuner out' or similar then just go for the first one you see at a decent price IME.
[/quote]
It sill be in the signal chain, some of the cheaper ones promise true bypass but how accurate that is I have no way of knowing.

If you drink real ale, a Bud or Heineken or similar tastes awful. If you want your instrument tuned properly, get yourself a decent tuner. You only buy a tuner every half dozen or more years so it's real cost is negligible and you can depend on it.

[quote name='Rocker' timestamp='1496171920' post='3309355']
If you drink real ale, a Bud or Heineken or similar tastes awful. If you want your instrument tuned properly, get yourself a decent tuner. You only buy a tuner every half dozen or more years so it's real cost is negligible and you can depend on it.
[/quote]

This! You can never be too in tune! I did a pick up gig a couple of years ago and a guest guitarist rocked up with a PRS, pedal board full of strymons and the like and an Engl combo and could he tune up without a pedal? 300 people watching him and it was 5 minutes of agony. If you're going to spend big money on a guitar and rig buy the best tuner (and leads) you can.

• 3 weeks later...

I endorse Korg Pitchblack tuners because of their excellent legibility even in direct sunlight. I have a Poly version, but I don't use the polyphonic anyway and the legibility is the same for other versions. Obvious point is: you need to be able to read the tuner so that you can use it. And that can sometimes be difficult when gigging outside.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1496267212' post='3310152']
I have a korg desktop tuner and a cheap and cheerful 14 quid one. Both as good as each other.
[/quote]

I was wrong. The cheap one did not play nicely on my board last week on a theatre gig. It whined when on and when off. Not a huge whine but we were all on cans and it was commented on by the rest. My Korg one was fine. I stand corrected.

Edited by owen

I went for a cheap one in the end, but it's on a separate signal chain so can't affect the sound anyway. Before I rearranged thenpedal board it was in line and seemed fine. I have compared it to my B3, a small Korg tuner and a boss pedal tuner and it matches perfectly.