Why become a member? ×

Unbelievably, people are still trying to defend the 80s.

Happy Jack

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1495463073' post='3303910']
Looking back makes me realise how boring and stuffy the 2010s look is... whatever that is!
[/quote]

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Just%20Stuff/Music%20and%20Musicians/NakedGuitars.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Just%20Stuff/Music%20and%20Musicians/NakedGuitars.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

If I remember right not all was well in the trouser area at the time.

Larry Blackmon tried to out-trouser everyone. The effect was so shocking that a massive public outcry resulted in MC Hammer being forced to knit a pair of Snailsburys gold lamé carrier bags together about his nethers before he was allowed to strut on national TV.

[attachment=245784:LarryBlackmonCodpiece.png]
The Eighties were worrying in many ways. The threat of global nuclear war was only one thing to fret about.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1495466538' post='3303934']
Happy days when the big name pop acts of the time were allowed to write their own songs, record them playing the instruments themselves and not wholly relying on Autotune.
[/quote]

Yup, and making a living wage (or indeed a packet) out of the process. Not a common occurrence nowadays...

plenty of people in their late teens / 20s will say how they feel they where robbed of a decent music scene for the growing up years , everything is safe or contrived , of course with some amazing exceptions , but few exceptions

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1495469252' post='3303960']
Classix Nouveaux - Hatfield band.....
[/quote]

A long time ago, the brother of a guy I went to college with played bass for The News, who were pre-Classix Nouveux. I have a demo recording here somewhere of a track called Run Away which was a whole lot of heavy compared to the nasty version that got released on album #1.

Ooh, one other thing on the '80s, Bananarama (and I suppose Kim Wilde et al); has anyone really noticed that there was a degree of chaste about their (very) public persona? They didn't have to get their kit off to garner interest. Different times and probably better for it, really.

If pop fashion was bad, then alternative scenes fashion was only slightly less so.

Thrash was skinny jeans & big, white basket ball boots (went there)
Goth was black lace, duster coats, big crimped hair
Indie was skinny jeans, brogues & your Grandad's big coat
Or it was skate gear
Or army surplus

Good times, dodgy fashion.

Siouxsie Sioux always looked both frightening and spectacular!

Dave Stewart... actually looks a lot like Eric Clapton.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1495462470' post='3303906'] Although I've never heard of them, at least Central Line got their act together and colour co-ordinated :) [/quote]
They look like they're about to play the Mos Eisley Cantina!

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1495462470' post='3303906']
Ah, Steve "Steamin' Clark. Has anyone ever looked cooler than that playing Les Paul around their knees? Happy memories of seeing him live.
[/quote]

I concur, save for the bit about seeing him live sadly. Oh actually, the trousers he wore on TOTP when Animal was released were pretty bad actually.

I loved the 80s. I was 4 when they started and 15 when they ended, didn't have a care in the world, loved every minute. Yes the fashion was shocking at times but certainly not a patch on the 70's. Music was everywhere, pop stars had actual talent and the bass was always high in the mix. If someone does manage to invent a time machine, send me back ASAP. 😊