Why become a member? ×

B E A D strings on my 4 string

DDR

Heya

I have been thinking about 5 strings but don't have the budget and quite frankly I'm just not in to buying anything that isn't a keeper so I got excited when I read a comment in a discussion on here about stringing a 4 string B E A D.

Has anyone got any thoughts/advice for me on this?
Would the bass need adjustments to welcome the B? I've got a '50 classic precision & it has become my spare recently.

Thanks!

I did it on a bass and out extra heavy DDR DDT strings on, funnily enough to only but I needed to widen was the G (D) string.

After the set up it worked perfectly well and the bass handled it nicely.
I ultimately moved the bass on because I moved the bass on, but I enjoyed it for a while.
I am a more comfortable 4 stringer but with a bass extender to drop down.

[quote name='DDR' timestamp='1495478172' post='3304079']
Thanks guys

That sounds like the sort of adjustment that would then have problems going back to 4... no?
[/quote]

Yes, the nut adjustment would not be reversible, but shouldn't be too expensive to replace. If the bridge did need some work then this would still be OK if you wanted to go back down again.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1495481735' post='3304117']

Yes, the nut adjustment would not be reversible, but shouldn't be too expensive to replace. If the bridge did need some work then this would still be OK if you wanted to go back down again.
[/quote]

I guess that's doable... still feels like I should have a second spare... feeling a bit tentative about it.. should probably just do it tho!

[quote name='DDR' timestamp='1495484694' post='3304161']
Thanks guys, I'm fretting about my P a bit but recon I need to just do it... will kepp this thread posted!
[/quote]
Looking forward to the recordings already. :D

Check out this thread that Rich (Grangur) started - might be useful if you need a bit more confidence:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/277468-bcers-prepared-to-help-fix-a-bass/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/277468-bcers-prepared-to-help-fix-a-bass/[/url]

My fretless P is BEAD and it's actually my only bass now. I find I mostly don't miss the G and all those extra low notes are much more useful to me.
Your vintage bridge will handle the low B no probs - I have the same one on mine, threaded saddles. **put masking tape either side of the nut so you don't scratch your neck's finish** I just a took tiny length of rolled up sandpaper, about the width of the new string (can't remember what grade but it wasn't heavy) and just gently rubbed the sides of the E now B nut slot, taking great care just to widen the slot, bit by bit, checking againt the new B, and not to lower the nutslot. Don't want any fretbuzz by making it too low! Same for the others if they need it. The rest is just a little set up. Easy really and well worth it.

[quote name='DDR' timestamp='1495476918' post='3304060']
Heya

I have been thinking about 5 strings but don't have the budget and quite frankly I'm just not in to buying anything that isn't a keeper so I got excited when I read a comment in a discussion on here about stringing a 4 string B E A D.

Has anyone got any thoughts/advice for me on this?
Would the bass need adjustments to welcome the B? I've got a '50 classic precision & it has become my spare recently.

Thanks!
[/quote]

Just the nut slots, probably requiring widening up a bit. The tension is likely to be similar or a bit lower, actually, than your existing strings so you may have to loosen up the truss rod *a tiny bit*... and that's it. If you have very low action, then there may be a bit of buzz because the thicker strings vibrate with a larger amplitude so you may need to raise the strings a *very tiny bit* but that's only if you're already having very low action... chances are it'll be ok as is.D

Do it! :)

If you just want to get the feel of BEAD without doing irreversible changes to the bass try to see if the lightest gauge possible will be acomodated by your nut without having it reshaped. The nut should be made to fit a .110 E string so it may have some spare room to fit a .125/.120 B string from a light tension set. The sound will not be as tight though.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1495537224' post='3304500']
IME any low B with a gauge of less than 125 will feel too floppy unless the break angles on the bridge and nut give it a lower than normal compliance.
[/quote]

I would pretty much echo this sentiment. Generally I like at least a 130 on a B string.

Thanks for all your replies guys! I have to admit that after much thought & consideration I am now leaning against this!

I found myself thinking "what if one day I want the low B but I need the G for something? I would then need yet another bass! Doesn't seem right.

Today I played a Revelation 5 string... hmmm.... I like it! I think that may be what's going to happen..

[quote name='DDR' timestamp='1496153772' post='3309169']
I found myself thinking "what if one day I want the low B but I need the G for something? I would then need yet another bass! Doesn't seem right.
[/quote]

You could always tune in fifths...B F# C# G#, for example, though it would require a fairly extensive rethink of your way around the fretboard!

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1496158885' post='3309207']
You could always tune in fifths...B F# C# G#, for example, though it would require a fairly extensive rethink of your way around the fretboard!
[/quote]

Sounds way LONG! :)

I think a 5 string might just be the way, as standard as this may be!

I am having to think about stringing a bass BEAD as I will need a few notes below bottom E in a new project I've been asked to join.

Re-write as even I couldn't make head or tail of what I meant!

Take two...if re-stringing a bass from EADG to BEAD, is it necessary to go down a step in the gauge of the strings, or would the bottom four of a five string set with EAD the same weight as currently strung be OK? I'm actually planning to simple buy the B string and move the others over. Obviously, a bit of nut filing is likely to be needed, any reason not to do this?

Edited by FinnDave

has anyone used a Hipshot D-Tuner/extender?

Not for me as I'm a confirmed five string fan, but possibly an option for someone who might only need the odd low D (or lower - I see they do one that will drop the note as low as a B...which asks the question of whether you might simply drop-tune the E string anyway and leave the rest of the strings as normal...assuming you don't mind re-learning your positions for the one string

Edited by Monkey Steve

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1496242282' post='3309855']
Take two...if re-stringing a bass from EADG to BEAD, is it necessary to go down a step in the gauge of the strings, or would the bottom four of a five string set with EAD the same weight as currently strung be OK? I'm actually planning to simple buy the B string and move the others over. Obviously, a bit of nut filing is likely to be needed, any reason not to do this?
[/quote]
Yep, that's what I do. Just use a 5-string set with roughly the same gauge E,A,and D as I'd use on a standard 4, then chuck the G!

Edited by Johnny Wishbone