Why become a member? ×

Relay G10 and the high pitched whine with some active basses. How does the G55 fair?

sumorabbit

[color=#282828][font=HelveticaNeue-Light,]
Hi peeps.[/font][/color]
Had this unit since launch and was initially happy with it until the realisation I can only use it on a few basses because of that annoying high pitched whine crap that they do with some active circuits. This has now (after plenty of people bought the thing) been confirmed as a "limitation of the design"[/font][/color]
Male TS female TS and other such solutions don't work. Swapping the ring/sleeve wires doesn't work. I've swapped a preamp in one bass out of curiosity and gave the whine to a previously none whiny bass.[/font][/color]
I've had enough to be honest and I will be selling it on shortly, but I thought I'd ask here if anyone has any experience of the [color=red]G55[/color] system?[/font][/color]
Does that suffer the same issue of it making a consistent high pitched whine with some active basses? If anyone could give me a heads up before I consider purchasing one that would be grand, I'd rather not waste money a second time.[/font][/color]
For interests sake here are the basses and preamps [/font][/color]
Sandberg classic 6 with delano pups and pre. Whine's like crazy[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=HelveticaNeue-Light,]
Mayones BE exotic 5 with Bartolini pups and mayo3 pre. Doesn't whine[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=HelveticaNeue-Light,]
Mayones BE exotic 5 with Bartolini pups and Auiliar ob3 pre. Whine's like crazy[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=HelveticaNeue-Light,]
Warwick streamer 4 with MEC pups and passive circuits. No whine[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=HelveticaNeue-Light,]
Warwick streamer 4 with EMG J pups and Pre. No whine[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=HelveticaNeue-Light,]
Warwick Corvette 6 with Basslines pups and MEC 2 band pre. No whine[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=HelveticaNeue-Light,]
Warwick Corvette 6 with Basslines pups and MEC 3 band pre. Whines like crazy[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=HelveticaNeue-Light,]
Custom affair with Delano pups and Sonar 3 pre. Whines the loudest of all[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=HelveticaNeue-Light,]
Musicman Stingray 4. All stock and no whine.[/font][/color]
I wouldn't mind as much but it's my main basses (Sanberg and Mayo) that I take to gigs that happen to be the whiners of the lot.[/font][/color]
Cheers[/font][/color]

Just a quick question, have you tried an entirely different power supply for the wireless receiver? Many users of certain wireless systems have had to use isolated power supplies (especially with other effects pedals daisy chained in) because of "digital noise" making it's way to the amplifier.

It has an isolated supply from my rack conditioner, I also made a DC > usb 9 > 5 voltage step down circuit board and powered it from my pedal board brick (hotstone deluxe) . The issue is acknowledged by line 6, It's to do with the current that passes through the sleeve and ring on inserting the jack to activate the battery of the bass pre. If the pre is of the type that senses the current (something to do with resistors activating the pre, I'm not sure and I don't fancy opening an epoxy sealed pre. Apparently the resistance causes the transmitter to think it's charging) and turns on as opposed to the current just arriving and it being turned on, the noise will occur. That's why it only does it on some pre amps and not others. I have found a solution but it's not one I'm happy with. If i remove the battery power from the jack socket and install a battery on switch instead the noise is gone, however I don't fancy drilling holes in my basses to install a battery on switch for the sake of a wireless.

Edited by sumorabbit

Try one of these: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Pole-6-35mm-Jack-Socket-to-Socket-Adaptor-/351894083314?hash=item51ee8596f2:g:zZgAAOSwB09YQYKV"]http://www.ebay.co.u...ZgAAOSwB09YQYKV[/url]

Connected to a short patch cable to make an extension lead. Being a mono coupler and a mono patch cable, I think it may alleviate the problem. Relay goes in to the coupler, patch cable goes to active bass.

Edited by dood

Oh no, that sounds a right ball ache :(

I've been gigging a G55 for 2 or 3 years now with both and active and passive basses. My 2 actives both have 9 volt Glockenklang pre-amps and I've never had any high pitched whine or other unexpected noises, crap playing aside.
One is also a Sandberg with their own brand pups, not Delano's, the other is an Ibanez with Bartolini pups.

I'm powering it with the supplied Line 6 wall wart but off the top of my head I have no idea what the voltage is for it.

I bought the G55 today and it works flawlessly with all previously mentioned whiney basses. What a difference. Oddly there is a substantial tone difference. The gr55 without cable tone is clicky on the top end and with its considerably dulled. The G10 had a baked in cable tone that was somewhat in the middle of these extremes, nothing I can't solve with my now working preamps though eh!

Cheers guys

[quote name='sumorabbit' timestamp='1495730317' post='3306218']
I bought the G55 today and it works flawlessly with all previously mentioned whiney basses. What a difference. Oddly there is a substantial tone difference. The gr55 without cable tone is clicky on the top end and with its considerably dulled. The G10 had a baked in cable tone that was somewhat in the middle of these extremes, nothing I can't solve with my now working preamps though eh!

Cheers guys
[/quote]

Glad to hear that the problem has now been resolved.

In my experience, I've only ever found the cable tone button to be subtle. Noticeable, but subtle none the less.
But this could possibly down to differences in how we set up our own sounds, perhaps? I tend to play with a relatively flat eq with enough high end to make the bass clear in the mix but no significant treble boost. Do you prefer a more modern glassy top end? Could that be why it's more pronounced with your gear?

I suppose it's just different systems will have a slight different sound. I'm not normally one for glassy high's myself either. I use a greenboy F212 cabinet with the tweeter and mid range driver alongside the 2 12"speakers so the cab is really detailed in it's sound and sensitive to what changes before it.

I play with amp eq flat, preamp on the bass I go with treble rolled off a touch, mids boosted a touch and bass flat. I'm most of the time using the bridge pickup with around 70/30 blend.

Sounds like it could possibly be a combination of the tweeter and mid driver in the cab and/or pickup balance that make the cable tone noticeably more pronounced with your rig. I use a Tecamp 2x12 with a horn, although this is only up at about 10 to 15%, and tend to play pretty much exclusively on the neck pickup, occasionally blending in a little bit of the bridge pickup if need be, so my tone is possibly darker than your own?

Yeah, I favour barky bridge sounds since my function bands are mostly exclusively funk and disco bands. The change in tone doesn't offend me at all, it's just a bit different to the G10 tone, I'm sure I'll get used to it!

Coming late to the party, but for others with a G10 an alternative fix could be this...

http://www.switchcraft.com/Drawings/13_cd.pdf

http://www.switchcraft.com/Product.aspx?ID=2698

Rather than a TRS arrangement to make a power circuit closed for the bass preamp it has an isolated make circuit separate from the audio circuit. The jack tip locales in a plastic cup and physically pushes the circuit closed.

This is the arrangement Wal use for switching on their active circuits.

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1496044836' post='3308252']
Coming late to the party, but for others with a G10 an alternative fix could be this...

[url="http://www.switchcraft.com/Drawings/13_cd.pdf"]http://www.switchcra...wings/13_cd.pdf[/url]

[url="http://www.switchcraft.com/Product.aspx?ID=2698"]http://www.switchcra...ct.aspx?ID=2698[/url]

Rather than a TRS arrangement to make a power circuit closed for the bass preamp it has an isolated make circuit separate from the audio circuit. The jack tip locales in a plastic cup and physically pushes the circuit closed.

This is the arrangement Wal use for switching on their active circuits.
[/quote]

That's a brilliant idea and a more permanent fix verses my patch lead approach. I like this one! I didn't know Switchcraft made them, thank you!

I had a whining noise on my smoothhound originally. I had several issues. I couldn't use it on the same power supply that my Zoom B3 was powered by, that was noise city straight away, so it needed to be isolated, but then I already had an isolated power suply as the B3 wouldn't work with the Fishman Powerchord (digital effects). It worked ok with analogue pedals.
That got rid of the obvious problem although occasionally I would get it. SOmeone else found that having a short lead between the reciever and the next effect caused a whining sound, which was true. A longer cable fixed it and then smoothhound fixed that issue with a recal on the box. but there was still some venues where I got a noise.
Turned out to be that my power supply was right on the edge of the power that it needed, so that at some venues it worked well, but at others where it needed just that bit more power, it would cause a ringing in the power supply. Swapped my HB power bank jr for a cheap ebay power supply, not had the trouble since!

• 5 months later...

Don’t know the specific preamps involved but wouldn’t the wiring be something like...

0720F977-63F6-4033-92F1-06E962A4F6DA.jpeg

Of course, that wouldn’t just be + straight to -  or + straight to ground but rather the wires that are sleeve on the bass TRS socket = - or ground and the wires on the TRS socket that are to ring or +. If that makes sense...

Edited by TrevorR