Why become a member? ×

Bass straight into the PA - no DI - Behringer X18

LewisK1975

In my never ending quest for simplicity, I've been thinking about doing the above.

Currently I use my TC BH250 head as a DI box, mainly because I really like the spectracomp and I also like the core tone of it anyway.

Inputs 1 & 2 on the X18 mixer are hi-z so can take a guitar directly. The X18 has all the EQ you could ever imagine and also has compression available too.

Has anyone else done this specifically with the X18/ XR18 / XR16 / XR12?

I know I could just give it a go, but we don't do much full volume rehearsal and I'm not going to just leave it to chance on a gig....

Any thoughts appreciated!

It all depends... mostly on what speakers you are using with your PA. Have they got the guts to support everything you are throwing at it?

But yes, it's all doable but you should look at your monitoring solution... don't rely on hearing everything you need to from the reflection from the front of house.

I'll ditch the backline wherever I can... and the band sounds better out front for it.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1495554929' post='3304757']
Hey Russ, indeed the PA is fine, there are Mackie 18in subs and JBL PRX tops, which have two 15s and a tweeter each.

Monitoring-wise I'm on in-ears (UE900s recommended by your good self) so no worries there.....

Cheers dude.
[/quote]
In which case, go for it. You'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1495557582' post='3304809']
If the bass is good and quiet (no hums or RF noise) then go for it
[/quote]
I'm not sure why that would make a difference? Hums and RF is going to be present in a backline, just like it would a PA?

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1495557799' post='3304816']

But you can filter some noises with a DI box.
[/quote]

I suspect an xair mixer can do about a gazillion things more than a di box!

It's got a built in bass amp, compressors, fx and a 31 band eq just for starters :D

Edited by stingrayPete1977

I've gone bass - tuner - synth pedal - xr18 on a gig using in ears. Was absolutely fine and was able to get a really good foh sound and a lovely sound in my ears. Didn't have to work the eq too hard and just added the preset bass compression. I've got a beautiful aguilar DB750 and am this close to selling it and replacing with something cheap and cheerful for the odd occasions I want an amp for stage monitoring or dep gigs.

I'd love our whole band to go direct to the PA. I suspect I've no chance with the guitarist though... he insists on cranking a JCM 900, 4x12 full blast even when rehearsing. Only way to get a decent sound out of a Marshall apparently!

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1495572520' post='3305031']
would be interesting trying to tweak your sound on the fly going direct into the X18, the interface on a tablet is tricky as f**k,
I'll stick with my DI box thanks!
[/quote]

What would you be tweaking? Once the in ears he is using are set and the foh is mixed there shouldn't be any on the fly really should there?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1495575667' post='3305071']
What would you be tweaking? Once the in ears he is using are set and the foh is mixed there shouldn't be any on the fly really should there?
[/quote]
shouldn't be, but i always find i might need a little more mids or bass, or less, or some more DI as the gig progresses, take off the compression for quieter moments etc, most of which I can control from my DI/EQ pedal, but maybe some folks just setup and go and don't need to change things during a gig, rarely happens for me.