Why become a member? ×

ACS Encore Live! And Ambient Processor

Dood

As seen here:

https://www.acscustom.com/uk/products/in-ear-monitors/live-series

Would like to hear from users of the system please! Reviews and any thoughts. That would also include users of the T1, T2 and T3 Live! Systems too.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1495577945' post='3305096']
As seen here:

[url="https://www.acscustom.com/uk/products/in-ear-monitors/live-series"]https://www.acscusto...ors/live-series[/url]

Would like to hear from users of the system please! Reviews and any thoughts. That would also include users of the T1, T2 and T3 Live! Systems too.
[/quote]
You probably know that I have this system with the T1s. It's really good - however, I still think that the actual inears are somewhat lacking for bass players. Their ethos is not to include the double low... and in reality, as a bass player, we really need the headroom in that department. So I have to say, I always find my ACS a little disappointing in that department.

As for the microphones - again, good - as long as you are not in a loud band. Even with the pad engaged on the ambient pack, if the SPL in your environment is too loud, the inears will massively distort.

I think the application where this product will really shine is as a singer on the theatre stage, say the West End. I would imagine it would be absolute killer for that. Not too loud surroundings, a clean input from the desk - and of course, a beautiful ambient surrounding.

I know you are really into the ambient thing... but I think you will be very, very disappointed, especially coming from the A8s you currently sport.

I was actually wondering if I could get my ACS respelled with mic gubbins - but the problem of the mic distorting would still be there I fear. I'm sure I could work the pin outs on the ambient pack and use some beefier mics you know... :P

I'd be interested to see thoughts on the Encore too. I'm in the market for a new set of moulds - currently running Sennheiser IE80s on the theatre tour I'm on, but they simply ain't good enough. They sound great, but they're just too uncomfortable!

I've been in pretty hefty conversation with ACS over it, they recommend the Encore to me, being a bassist (I still have my Mesa Powerhouse rig behind me to shift the air), but I'm torn on the whole live thing. Just to have them live 'ready', it's £50 to have them with the microphones in there. Doesn't seem so bad right? Then I saw the price of the live pack, and I just can't justify that cost I don't think!

Goblin - are you running wired or not?

The reason why I ask is that I was looking into the ambient thing quite heavily and investigated the use of a stereo lav mic clipped to the back of my collar.

The idea is the cables would be joined on a small box with a belt clip would then take the jacks from a stereo jack and join them to a socket that would run a thin multicore to a small mixer. I was toying with the idea of including another socket for a cable to the bass also. At the end of the day, most things are possible if you can find the appropriate multicore cable.

May be worth an investigation... I never got around to realising the design but if dood and goblin are up for it, I'm up for a BC collaboration project! It would certainly be cheaper than the ACS solution - and probably more performant... but obviously a bit more clunky to get wireless as the ambient pack is what is replacing the mixer (and a damm expensive alternative it is too!)

EDIT: just went through my notes and found the mic that I was going to build the solution aro[size=4]und - [font=YouTube Noto, Roboto, arial, sans-serif][color=#333333]Sony ECMCS3 - Don't know much about the mic, it was in the frame mostly due to its hard L/R separation and easy of clipping it to the back/front of my collar.[/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=YouTube Noto, Roboto, arial, sans-serif][color=#333333]The case would be like this - [/color][/font][/size][url="http://cpc.farnell.com/neutrik/na-housing/enclosure-d-type/dp/AV18089?mckv=s9mGngX3D_dc%7Cpcrid%7C72935593217%7Ckword%7C%7Cmatch%7C%7Cplid%7C%7Cpid%7CAV18089&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-GEN-SHOPPING-NEUTRIK-Connectors-AV18089"]http://cpc.farnell.c...nectors-AV18089[/url] (Taking inspiration from Fischer!)

Belt clip would be screwed into the side and the relevant D chassis neutriks mounted top and bottom (the top would be a custom for the two mini jacks (three if you want to include bass) - for the bottom multicore I was thinking 5 pin midi or 7 pin midi depending whether you wanted to include the bass - and whether you wanted to run balanced. Dood - you could route it so your headphone output goes to your Fischer stick so you still have you volume control on that available to you...

I nearly found the right mixer too - Denon Professional DN-306X (I wanted something rack mountable so there wouldn't be cables and little mixers everywhere) - but it doesn't have a headphone out (or crucially stereo!) and didn't want another headphone amp to worry about - Dood - you wouldn't have the problem with your Fischer stick - thats got the amp in it hasn't it? So you would just take the XLRs out and let the Fischer do the rest.

What you think?

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1495581310' post='3305119']
You probably know that I have this system with the T1s. It's really good - however, I still think that the actual inears are somewhat lacking for bass players. Their ethos is not to include the double low... and in reality, as a bass player, we really need the headroom in that department. So I have to say, I always find my ACS a little disappointing in that department.

As for the microphones - again, good - as long as you are not in a loud band. Even with the pad engaged on the ambient pack, if the SPL in your environment is too loud, the inears will massively distort.

[/quote]

I'll come back to the rest of the post later as I must dash, but I wanted to ask if you have tried the 5 driver system as well as the T1? Also intrigued about the distortion. I'm looking online for other reviews with the issue. Would you know where would be a good place to find feedback regarding the Live! system?

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1495615893' post='3305237']
I'll come back to the rest of the post later as I must dash, but I wanted to ask if you have tried the 5 driver system as well as the T1? Also intrigued about the distortion. I'm looking online for other reviews with the issue. Would you know where would be a good place to find feedback regarding the Live! system?
[/quote]
I haven't tried the 5 driver system - but my gut feeling is that going with the single driver and doubling up the mids and the tops will leave you will the same problems as the T1 - the lower driver on its own just doesn't given you the support in the bottom end. I've even tried a multi band compressor on the output from my desk before it gets sent to the ears but even with trying to control live bass, it's just not in the same camp as a dual low. My dual low copes way better than the T1 and of course the JHs are a different ballgame all together - akin to what you are used to with your 64s.

Just to clarify, there's two distortion problems - one with the mics when the environment in which you are performing is too loud for the mics. Second, where the drivers can't cope with the bass.

Review wise, ACS is a funny one as they have pretty much sewn up the market in the UK as they are undoubtably the easiest and quickest way of getting customs in the UK. Having a presence at John Henry's has pretty much got their foot in the door with every sound tech and artist that passes through. Don't get me wrong, they are good - but I think in terms of the actual inears, they are behind the curve. If you want ear protection though, ACS are amongst the best, no doubt.

I would say the majority of ACS users - and especially those that are singing their praises - have no other benchmark. Yes, compared to a standard off the shelf monitors, ACS will seem way and above what they are used to. If you speak to guys that have had a whole host of monitors, see how many will mention ACS... I can tell you that it won't be many. The Live system is a fairly big selling point for them, I think it's only ACS and Sensaphonics (and it should come as no surprise that those companies have links from way back) who currently offer such a system commercially.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1495608766' post='3305170'] ..... {snip} What you think? [/quote]

I'm taking this a possible step further, leave it with me as I have been working on an idea for the last few months and this thread has had me thinking I may return to it. I've found a few things online today that have my interest!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1495638396' post='3305518']
I'm taking this a possible step further, leave it with me as I have been working on an idea for the last few months and this thread has had me thinking I may return to it. I've found a few things online today that have my interest!
[/quote]
PM me with your ideas, lets start pooling. I may be able to accelerate some of your thinkings.

• 1 month later...

Oops I missed this one, I was initially on wired but it quickly became a pain for certain parts of the show, parts where I'm expected to be centre stage for a slap solo etc, so I ended up on wireless.

I've not yet bought any moulds yet, still using Sennheiser IE80s, but I've got the cash waiting. I really can't decide though! I'm after soft ones though, I've got fairly small and sensitive ears so I want something as comfortable as possible.

EBS_Freak, I'll probably be looking for your advice as from what I can tell, you're the IEM guru!