Why become a member? ×

New Cort GB Basses.....Opinions

ebenezer

[url="http://www.cortguitars.com/uk/product/series_view.asp?qCate=00003&idx=128"]http://www.cortguita...e=00003&idx=128[/url]

Not very clever from the Cort UK website. Showing a glimpse of the new models on the banner then only showing the old models below. Saying that, the new ones look great.

EDIT: Cort US site shows them all, very nice. http://www.cortguitars.com/en/product/series_view.asp?qCate=00003&idx=128

Edited by BassApprentice

I *could* tell you that the GB74JJ is a [i]brilliant[/i] bass for the money, but then, you wouldn't wait until my full review coming up of it... :) I love what they have done over the old GB models. Some nice upgrades there.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1495648463' post='3305623']
I *could* tell you that the GB74JJ is a [i]brilliant[/i] bass for the money, but then, you wouldn't wait until my full review coming up of it... :) I love what they have done over the old GB models. Some nice upgrades there.
[/quote]

Tell me they've made them slightly less complex? I loved my GB75 apart from it having way too many controls!

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1495643443' post='3305573']
Did Cort used to be Kay?
[/quote]
I don't know about that, but I have a couple of MIK Fender guitars that have "Cortech" written inside them. They are pretty good although the frets (on both) were a bit sharp and needed to be rounded off.

Edited by darkandrew

I had a GB75 for a couple of years. Upgraded to Aguilar pickups which helped alot. But something just didn't take me.

Sounded good flat but preamp really shoddy compared to other brands (massive hiss in treble and bottom end too boomy).

I tried for so long to love it but eventually never did so sold it. No regrets.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1495741038' post='3306309']
I had a GB75 for a couple of years. Upgraded to Aguilar pickups which helped alot. But something just didn't take me.

Sounded good flat but preamp really shoddy compared to other brands (massive hiss in treble and bottom end too boomy).

I tried for so long to love it but eventually never did so sold it. No regrets.
[/quote]

I noticed that the preamplifier diagram for the GBxxJJ models on the Cort website is labelled 'Sandberg', which could suggest a suitable upgraded circuit.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1495741638' post='3306315']

I noticed that the preamplifier diagram for the GBxxJJ models on the Cort website is labelled 'Sandberg', which could suggest a suitable upgraded circuit.
[/quote]

That could make the difference. I'd say that if you added a coil tap it's essentially a Lakland 55-02 but half the price. Made in same factory I'd wager.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1495741797' post='3306318']

That could make the difference. I'd say that if you added a coil tap it's essentially a Lakland 55-02 but half the price. Made in same factory I'd wager.
[/quote]

I think Cort have upped the game with this one and I am looking to demo the 75JJ or possibly the 75HB that look cracking.