Why become a member? ×

What combo do you use?

mart3442

[b]I have two combos, a 1970's 60watt Roland Bass cube. Sounds killer with ther EUB, not so good with the Double Bass, and a GK MBS 3, which is great with the Double Bass.
Just wondering what you lot were using.....[/b]

Edited by mart3442

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1495705858' post='3305957']
Never really understood this obsession with combos. I always use separates.
[/quote]

Cab specifically matched to head. Leads set up and ready to go. Ease of use and portability. Smart / neat appearance on stage. Sometimes a lot better value than separates (I picked up a Mesa M6 combo new for less than the cost of the head by itself). I think that covers it? :)

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1495707683' post='3305987']
Cab specifically matched to head. Leads set up and ready to go. Ease of use and portability. Smart / neat appearance on stage. Sometimes a lot better value than separates (I picked up a Mesa M6 combo new for less than the cost of the head by itself). I think that covers it? :)
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

In reply, I mix and match heads and cabs in a thoroughly casual fashion, never had a problem yet and it means I can be very flexible. Leads? You mean the speaker cable? So that's a single lead to be plugged in. :rolleyes:

A separate head and cab are far more portable than a combo. Appearance on stage? Who's looking? :D

Value ... ah now, that's getting a bit subjective.

:)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1495708151' post='3305991']
:lol: :lol: :lol:

In reply, I mix and match heads and cabs in a thoroughly casual fashion, never had a problem yet and it means I can be very flexible. Leads? You mean the speaker cable? So that's a single lead to be plugged in. :rolleyes:

A separate head and cab are far more portable than a combo. Appearance on stage? Who's looking? :D

Value ... ah now, that's getting a bit subjective.

:)
[/quote]

Yup, those are the counter arguments. Glad we have that we have managed to clear up the pros and cons for everyone so succinctly :)

Now I'm looking forward to hearing about your favourite bass line ever on the General Discussion thread...I'm guessing it won't be the same as mine :)

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1495708696' post='3305996']
Now I'm looking forward to hearing about your favourite bass line ever on the General Discussion thread...I'm guessing it won't be the same as mine :)
[/quote]

Bwahahahah!!!

Slow down mate, first we have to have a debate about which strings to use ...

;)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1495710776' post='3306022']
Bwahahahah!!!

Slow down mate, first we have to have a debate about which strings to use ...

;)
[/quote]

Actually I've just very recently got a 5 string Warwick Corvette, so I would be very interested in views on what would be a really good set of nickel / [u]not[/u] flatwounds for me to be using on that, particularly to bring out those low Bs...but that's a discussion for another thread, otherwise we will be COMPLETELY derailing the OPs question, hehe...

These days I prefer separates for DB. My amp of choice is a Puma 500, it gives me the cleanest, clearest sound from the pickup. Clearer, may I say, even than the Clarus. Ok, so it doesn't have a phase reverse and HPF that the Clarus does but that can be sorted with an FDeck HPF on the front. As for cabs, I've gone through a few and alighted upon a Barefaced Super Midget that can handle most of the largest gigs I do. And for the smaller gigs, often with 'difficult' acoustics such as a boomy pub or a sound killing carpet I take advantage of the mids that the 10" Wizzy provides. So a separate set up gives a bit more versatility than a combo it only needs an extra speaker lead and the lift is not so strenuous - have you seen the weight of some of those MarkBass combos?

As the question was about combos I'll just add that I've got a Genz 3.0-10 that is quite nice, well made but I don't use it much.

Don't get into the idea that a bouble bass will prefer a combo designed for bass guitars. It won't need thunderous lows but rather the clarity in the middle frequencies. It's a different instrument entirely.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1495708151' post='3305991']
A separate head and cab are far more portable than a combo.
[/quote]

You'd be pushed to find a seperates setup thats more portable than my Gallien Krueger MB combo.......

[quote name='mart3442' timestamp='1495796131' post='3306663']

You'd be pushed to find a seperates setup thats more portable than my Gallien Krueger MB combo.......
[/quote]

But would you want a GK MB...................? But seriously, that was my sole amp for many years, went all over UK , Europe and flew to Lanzarotte and Gran Canaria. I've still got its flight case. But I think we've moved on a bit since.

[quote name='mart3442' timestamp='1495796131' post='3306663']
[/quote]

Assuming you mean the MB112 or similar (http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/gallien_krueger_mb_112.asp?gclid=CjwKEAjwpJ_JBRC3tYai4Ky09zQSJAC5r7ruKyf48kVHahW83IyrM5BNI6U3jBB_DmZIFDlacMpXzxoC7yXw_wcB) then that weighs 30lbs. Not backbreaking, but as heavy as the suitcase that most of us would take for a fortnight's holiday.

Most typically for a DB gig I'll have an Aguilar TH350 and a Barefaced OneTen. The TH350 weighs three (count them, three) pounds. The OneTen weighs 15lbs.

I didn't have to push too hard to find a more portable rig, frankly. :D