Why become a member? ×

What combo do you use?

mart3442

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1495826627' post='3306953']
I couldn't get on with the One 10 on DB. Too dark and not enough detail.
[/quote]

Have to agree, although my One10 works well with my stick and mag pickup. Super Midget is completely different though. Works very well with DB and it's nice and light for a 12".

I use a Phil Jones Suitcase with the additional 4b cab.
No it's not light, and no it's not a looker in everyone's eyes, but it just works for all my needs. Sound pretty damn good as well.

Phil Jones Flightcase here (BG150). Sounds fantastic with an acoustic bass guitar, sounds very good (as in transparent) with a double bass ... IF you have a nice pickup and get it in the right place on the bridge.

It is NOT terribly loud. I was playing it with three sax players, a drummer, a grand piano, two guitarists and a tenor horn the other month and wasn't always sure it was turned on. But everyone else said they could hear me, so "louder than it sounds" apparently. I may still supplement it with the powered cab (PB300). But if you're playing in a jazz trio it would be fine alone.

There are better amps for electric bass I think (lacks "heft"), but it's still pretty good for that too.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1495796667' post='3306670']
But would you want a GK MB...................? But seriously, that was my sole amp for many years, went all over UK , Europe and flew to Lanzarotte and Gran Canaria. I've still got its flight case. But I think we've moved on a bit since.
[/quote]

I've used Acoustic Image, Aer, you name it. I always come back to this little combo, it just seems to work with my setup.
Are you interested in offloading the flightcase by any chance?

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1495804103' post='3306748']
Assuming you mean the MB112 or similar ([url="http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/gallien_krueger_mb_112.asp?gclid=CjwKEAjwpJ_JBRC3tYai4Ky09zQSJAC5r7ruKyf48kVHahW83IyrM5BNI6U3jBB_DmZIFDlacMpXzxoC7yXw_wcB"]http://www.richtonem...MpXzxoC7yXw_wcB[/url]) then that weighs 30lbs. Not backbreaking, but as heavy as the suitcase that most of us would take for a fortnight's holiday.

Most typically for a DB gig I'll have an Aguilar TH350 and a Barefaced OneTen. The TH350 weighs three (count them, three) pounds. The OneTen weighs 15lbs.

I didn't have to push too hard to find a more portable rig, frankly. :D
[/quote]

The GK weighs nothing in real terms (11kg at a push....). I'd rather carry one small combo and a Bass than a small head and a small cab and a bass....... ;)

Phil Jones briefcase for quieter gigs or with good PA, or the suitcase with extension cab for louder ones. I just like the natural transparent tone so much I have sold practically all my other amps and use PJB for both electric and double bass

• 3 weeks later...