Why become a member? ×

NAD.... and no serial number. Thoughts appreciated.

roman_sub

hi guys

I would like some advice / collective wisdom.

I recently bought a 2nd hand GK MB500 Fusion online from ebay.

The amp arrived today and it works great... but I noticed that the serial number sticker isn't there. And, then from checking the return address, I realise the return address is a pawnshop in Worthing....

Clearly the biggest concern is whether the amp may have been stolen from someone, and then had the serial number removed. There may be another, innocent explanation, but I feel like I need to make sure....

My next steps will be:

1) I emailed GK to ask if there is another place the serial code may be noted, so I could use to check it / identify it.

2) call the pawnshop tomorrow morning, and ask them who sold them amp (their site claims to request ID from sellers). The ebay listing did not mention this, though looking more carefully at the listing, the serial sticker was indeed missing in their photo -

https://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=1654516&image=947309445&images=947309383,947309394,947309405,947309418,947309431,947309445&formats=0,0,0,0,0,0&format=0

3) post around forums to establish if anyone had this amp go missing recently, and see if there can be any link made between the pawnshop's location, the person who brought it in, and so on...

4) alert police if outcome of 2) is unsatisfactory...

Am I missing any steps? What should I say to the pawnshop when I speak to them?

i am debating whether or not to return it - has anyone had experience of dealing with similar cases of unwittingly purchasing gear without serials? Hypothetically speaking, would you feel comfortable buying this amp from me in the future, if I could prove that I did all due diligence and do not have any evidence of it being stolen?

I suppose that, if I could establish what the serial number is (e.g. if it is also stamped on the chassis), can confirm with pawnshop and their seller that it 100% wasn't stolen, I may be happy to keep it.. but I just don't know!

Quite frustrating, as I was really excited about the amp - and do love how it sounds - but now feel like I need to deal with this issue... I suppose it is still possible that there are genuine, innocent explanations (e.g. dodgy sticker falling off...?)

cheers
Roman

For gear of this sort, from a retail outlet, there should be a paper invoice, which one would expect to mention a serial number. If such is missing, there should be an explanation as to why, failing which I'd smell a rat. Was there a box..? Sometimes there's a SN there, too.
Hope it works out in your favour.

Well, I did check with GK - who said there is no other way to trace the serial number, without the sticker. Absolutely no other distinguishing features. There is some soft glue residue, but does not appear to be any scratching or other signs of forced removal.

Spoke to the pawnshop, who seemed broadly sensible and confirmed they did reasonableness checks at time of purchase, and do keep ID records of everyone they buy from.

So I guess I will keep my posts asking around for any stolen MBF500's..... if nothing shows up, think I'll keep it.

[quote name='roman_sub' timestamp='1495706188' post='3305967']
Well, I did check with GK - who said there is no other way to trace the serial number, without the sticker. Absolutely no other distinguishing features. There is some soft glue residue, but does not appear to be any scratching or other signs of forced removal.

Spoke to the pawnshop, who seemed broadly sensible and confirmed they did reasonableness checks at time of purchase, and do keep ID records of everyone they buy from.

So I guess I will keep my posts asking around for any stolen MBF500's..... if nothing shows up, think I'll keep it.
[/quote]

I guess the problem is even if someone had one stolen, how would they prove it was theirs without any distinguishing marks?

From what you've said you've pretty much covered all reasonable bases, if it is stolen I can't see how the original owner could prove it's actually theirs unless they've marked it with smart water or something.

As a side note, very decent of you to go to the lengths you have in case it might be stolen. Plenty of people wouldn't give it a second thought.

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' timestamp='1495714309' post='3306074']
From what you've said you've pretty much covered all reasonable bases, if it is stolen I can't see how the original owner could prove it's actually theirs unless they've marked it with smart water or something.

As a side note, very decent of you to go to the lengths you have in case it might be stolen. Plenty of people wouldn't give it a second thought.
[/quote]

I was thinking the very same thing. You have done very much more than is reasonable to check its history.

Hi Roman, I looked at that very same amp on eBay. I sent the sellers a message about the lack of serial number and they replied:

[color=#231F20][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]All items are fully tested by our engineers prior to listing. Regarding any serial no. or its absence, that's how this stock item came in to us.[/font][/color]

[font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][color="#231f20"]​I decided not to buy because their reply suggested that they might be turning a blind eye, but I think you've done all you can.[/color][/font]