Why become a member? ×

Basschat Member Shame

seashell

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1495808680' post='3306797']
Well said. couldn't agree more. I like (although not love) playing the song, and have no issues playing it if asked to at a gig. Im there to entertain and i dont care if anyone on here thinks is embarrassing or not.
[/quote]There's always a serious one :(

I've got it on a Dep set list I'm doing soon , it's a laugh every now and then

Last time I did it (also as a dep) the bass player for the band after us was standing on the side of the stage so I gave him my bass and went to the loo , wasn't out of disrespect for MS but because I'd drunk a lot of ale and needed relief and knew he know the song :)

Edited by lojo

Way too much musical snobbery on this site. Some really cracking songs been mentioned; Mustang Sally, Hoochie Coochie Man, Sweet home Alabama. All cracking songs that audiences love, yet people jump on the band wagon of slagging them off. Anyone here written a song that audiences will still be requesting 40 or 50 years? ......

.... No, I didn't thinks so.

I once had to play it at an outside party where loads of singers, guitarists and drummers turned up but no other bass players! In my defence, I didn't know the notes and the guitarist had to shout them out to me! Who'da thewt thad eh? :)

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1495890338' post='3307379']
Way too much musical snobbery on this site. Some really cracking songs been mentioned; Mustang Sally, Hoochie Coochie Man, Sweet home Alabama. All cracking songs that audiences love, yet people jump on the band wagon of slagging them off. Anyone here written a song that audiences will still be requesting 40 or 50 years? ......

.... No, I didn't thinks so.
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1495881050' post='3307269']

I'm not sure Superstition deserves to be.
[/quote]

For me, it does! I love Stevie's as much as the next guy but putting superstition in the set is such a cop out. Stevie's got so many fantastic well-known tunes that punters would love just as much but people would rather stick with the lazy option, thudding away for 90% of a song on a single E (because nobody can be bothered to drop tune and do it in Eb like the original).

I'd much rather see a band play 'I wish', 'Sir Duke', 'Master Blaster' etc something that doesn't take all of 5 minutes to 'learn' in a rehearsal one night because everyone knows it already and it's an easy set filler!

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1495898312' post='3307453']
When and why did Mustang Sally become so derided? After the Commitments?
[/quote]Yep, after the film it became ubiquitous. It's the same with any song that has been included in a film years after the original recording and the general public suddenly become aware of it. Let's be honest, how many folk, especially women, were or are into Lynyrd Skynyrd? Not many, compared to other bands, but watch the punters scream and go, "Woo, hoo," the moment the opening notes of Sweet Home Alabama are played. Unfortunately, hearing these tunes absolutely everywhere, often played badly, has ruined the originals for me.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1496048568' post='3308297']
Yep, after the film it became ubiquitous. It's the same with any song that has been included in a film years after the original recording and the general public suddenly become aware of it. Let's be honest, how many folk, especially women, were or are into Lynyrd Skynyrd? Not many, compared to other bands, but watch the punters scream and go, "Woo, hoo," the moment the opening notes of Sweet Home Alabama are played. Unfortunately, hearing these tunes absolutely everywhere, often played badly, has ruined the originals for me.
[/quote]
Thanks ezbass. I wasn't really gigging or frequenting music pubs around that time, but I'm still surprised that a song that got to 63 on the charts, from a film that wasn't exactly huge at the time (Rocky 5 and Godfather 3 grossed more, not to mention Robin Hood Prince of Thieves and Silence of the Lambs) has had so much lasting impact.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1496049649' post='3308314']
I'm still surprised that a song that got to 63 on the charts, from a film that wasn't exactly huge at the time (Rocky 5 and Godfather 3 grossed more, not to mention Robin Hood Prince of Thieves and Silence of the Lambs) has had so much lasting impact.
[/quote]

Well, thank god it was that rather than 'Everything I do' :)

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1496048126' post='3308292']

For me, it does! I love Stevie's as much as the next guy but putting superstition in the set is such a cop out. Stevie's got so many fantastic well-known tunes that punters would love just as much but people would rather stick with the lazy option, thudding away for 90% of a song on a single E (because nobody can be bothered to drop tune and do it in Eb like the original).

I'd much rather see a band play 'I wish', 'Sir Duke', 'Master Blaster' etc something that doesn't take all of 5 minutes to 'learn' in a rehearsal one night because everyone knows it already and it's an easy set filler!
[/quote]

You'd get on with our singer.

If we mention a song, he always says; "If we are going to do a song by X, I'd rather do ..."

I can't quite understand this approach. We are choosing a song because of what it sounds like and how popular it is, not because of the artist.

Although we are at point now where, because his favourite artist is David Bowie, we play 4 songs that David Bowie wrote. So I might be slightly hypocritical as when he asks "What about another Bowie song", I switch off before considering it. I think maybe the audience may also think along the lines of who sang the originals and think we are playing too many Bowie songs.

I'm not sure. I suspect there's a balance and the two positions may be related but are not the same.