Why become a member? ×

MXR Bass Blowtorch

sshorepunk

Bought one about a week ago, though I haven't really used it at all because I can't power it.

I managed to snatch 5 minutes using some batteries (used up rather quickly) and I can say already that I absolutely love it, just in that time I was able to get pretty close to all the different fuzzy/distorted sounds I want without losing any low end at all.

I'll report back when I get it all powered up (the 18v requirement is awkward!).

i dont like it at all, just doesnt mix well with me, maybe there may be a few nice tones that can be squeezed out of it, but for the stupid price tag and stupeder power consumption, id avoid it

• 2 weeks later...

I just won one of these from Bass Player magazine... So, what do I think? It seems sturdily built, it's smaller than you'd expect considering the knob count, it's relatively easy to use considering the number of controls. The bypass switching seems very clean, as does the dry side of the blend. Very low noise too.

It's quite inherently harsh sounding, like a kind of toothy fuzz, though obviously with all that EQ you can warp it considerably. It certainly leans more towards my Big Muff than my BassDrive. The blend control would probably appeal to lots of other bassists, however after a lot of fiddling and not loving what I heard I turned the blend to 100% wet and there were the sounds I was looking for! It seems I prefer to have an absolutely clean, open and uncompressed sound or a heavily compressed and distorted sound, and I play the instrument differently with the latter. The switchable frequency midrange cut and boost, treble cut and boost and torch switch, all allow you to shift where the dominant fuzz sound sits, which makes it quite a chameleon - every other distortion pedal I've used has done its thing in one particular way.

I don't think it'll be coming out on any gigs with me for the moment, not unless I write something that is fuzzcentric. But without obsessing over the very finest details (which you won't hear in the mix anyway) I would say that this pedal can get pretty much every distorted sound under the sun. It ain't pretty but it is clever.

Alex

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I use one of these regularly and find the 18 v requirement is best served with 2 x 9v batteries. Ive had her a year and gig a few times a week as well as rehearse and im only on my second set of duracell. I changed them because I thought she was powering up from some supernatural source. A great sweep of sounds available, take the time to test her and she'll become you best mate. I hate power cables everwhere, shes more than fair on batteries.

Just my thoughts

Keep Groovin

Col