Why become a member? ×

Hmm.......string packaging!! Status!!

barneyg42

Ordered my first set of Hotwires for a while. Came in a well wrapped jiffy, then a plastic sleeve with a paper insert. No writing on insert as to what set they where just a list of all strings supplied. Strings were all wrapped around each other in one paper string bag!! I normally don't even wrap up second hand strings like this, I put them in the appropriate marked paper sleeve so I know which is which in the case of a breakage. Am I missing something? Is this now the norm??

String set is written in pen on the paper sleeve, just noticed!!

Edited by barneyg42

D'Addario also ships their strings wrapped together in a bundle but, in their defence, they're stored inside an airtight plastic bag with some kind of product to prevent corrosion. The ouside paper case has all the info you should have and then some more. In years using their brand i only got a dead B string once and Thomann immediatly sent me a replacement free of charge ;)

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1495805288' post='3306760']
Ordered my first set of Hotwires for a while. Came in a well wrapped jiffy, then a plastic sleeve with a paper insert. No writing on insert as to what set they where just a list of all strings supplied. Strings were all wrapped around each other in one paper string bag!! I normally don't even wrap up second hand strings like this, I put them in the appropriate marked paper sleeve so I know which is which in the case of a breakage. Am I missing something? Is this now the norm??

String set is written in pen on the paper sleeve, just noticed!!
[/quote]

Same here - received a couple of sets of the Black Nylon Tapewounds. The ones you cannot buy on their website. We'll, after a chat with monsuier Greek, it turns out that the Black Nylon Tapes are so long, that a medium scale set will fit a 34" long scale bass. Job done.

Buy hey yes, received the package in exactly the same way , even down to the writing. I wasnt that bothered though

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1495813851' post='3306837']

Same here - received a couple of sets of the Black Nylon Tapewounds. The ones you cannot buy on their website. We'll, after a chat with monsuier Greek, it turns out that the Black Nylon Tapes are so long, that a medium scale set will fit a 34" long scale bass. Job done.

Buy hey yes, received the package in exactly the same way , even down to the writing. I wasnt that bothered though
[/quote]

Maybe I'm being a bit too sensitive over it, just seemed a bit shoddy compared to when I first started buying from them years ago. I know they've had their problems with getting the strings made and I guess that's sorted now, I just expected a similar thing to what I've received in the not too distant past.

I wasn't that bothered about the packaging, but I thought it was odd that it coincided with a change in the tone of the strings.

I did wonder if they had been returned by another customer. Especially with the guage written in the packet in biro.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1495825229' post='3306942']
I wasn't that bothered about the packaging, but I thought it was odd that it coincided with a change in the tone of the strings.

I did wonder if they had been returned by another customer. Especially with the guage written in the packet in biro.
[/quote]

Not had the chance to put them on yet so can't comment on the tone. I guess if they've been forced into a new supplier there's always going to be a difference, I believe the old supplier went bust?
Strings look ok, certainly no damage on them but they're definitely squeezed into a one string paper sleeve, even 5 separate sleeves with the gauge written on would have been nicer. Proof will be in the playing I guess, I certainly liked the old Hotwires a lot so hope these come close to them.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1495888801' post='3307365']
All the Hotwires I've had have been packaged the same way, with the biro details. The price is reasonable and apparently they're hand wound; I don't​ mind the bag and wrapper.

I have had some quality control issues with them though. Hopefully just teething trouble with the new manufacturer, but I've also had problems with a set from before. The wrong strings (like two A's and no E) and I've had some sets with loose windings and very uneven tone across the set. Hopefully I've just been unlucky, but I've let them know, and hopefully I can get replacements.

I've been a Status fan for years, finally got myself a Stealth II which I love, and their flats and halves were really great quality. I'd like to stick with them for wires, but I'll be keeping an eye on quality over the next little while.
[/quote]

So having read this I thought I'd better get on and change them, oh what a surprise, two A strings and no E!! Very disappointed!! Left a message on their answerphone and an email on the way. After many years of great service I'm a bit underwhelmed. Previous to this about 2 months ago I ordered a set to do a last gig before I went in for a major op. A week later and a day before the gig nothing. I emailed and Rob emailed back that he thought Dawn would have been in touch to say they (DBE 40-125 r/w) weren't in stock. No money taken so no problem but I just wanted that little thing before an enforced lay off. Now I'm fit and ready I want a fresh set to get started again!!
Grr!!

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1495893877' post='3307409']

So having read this I thought I'd better get on and change them, oh what a surprise, two A strings and no E!! Very disappointed!! Left a message on their answerphone and an email on the way. After many years of great service I'm a bit underwhelmed. Previous to this about 2 months ago I ordered a set to do a last gig before I went in for a major op. A week later and a day before the gig nothing. I emailed and Rob emailed back that he thought Dawn would have been in touch to say they (DBE 40-125 r/w) weren't in stock. No money taken so no problem but I just wanted that little thing before an enforced lay off. Now I'm fit and ready I want a fresh set to get started again!!
Grr!!
[/quote]

How disappointing. :-(

Re: the delivery time - they always used to come within a couple of days! The last set I ordered was just before Xmas, so I was expecting it to take a bit longer.

Dawn phoned me the week before Xmas to tell me they were likely to be delivered between Xmas and New Year. She had noticed I had put a works address as the delivery address, and wanted to check that I would be there to receive them. Asked if I would prefer them to be delivered to home address. In the end I arranged for them to be delivered to work after New Year.

All of the above I thought was great customer service! So I when they duly arrived I was a bit surprised by the packaging and disappointed by the tone. Not that there was anything wrong with them if you like a bright sound. But it wasn't the tone I was after, and had come to expect from the Status Halfwounds.

(They are fine now, btw, after 5 months of 'playing in') :-)

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1495894708' post='3307416']

How disappointing. :-(

Re: the delivery time - they always used to come within a couple of days! The last set I ordered was just before Xmas, so I was expecting it to take a bit longer.

Dawn phoned me the week before Xmas to tell me they were likely to be delivered between Xmas and New Year. She had noticed I had put a works address as the delivery address, and wanted to check that I would be there to receive them. Asked if I would prefer them to be delivered to home address. In the end I arranged for them to be delivered to work after New Year.

All of the above I thought was great customer service! So I when they duly arrived I was a bit surprised by the packaging and disappointed by the tone. Not that there was anything wrong with them if you like a bright sound. But it wasn't the tone I was after, and had come to expect from the Status Halfwounds.

(They are fine now, btw, after 5 months of 'playing in') :-)
[/quote]

I quite like them bright, I'd rather take the brightness away than struggle to add it. Just a personal thing. All a bit haphazard at the moment, I thought things had been sorted!

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1495895310' post='3307419']

I quite like them bright, I'd rather take the brightness away than struggle to add it. Just a personal thing. All a bit haphazard at the moment, I thought things had been sorted!
[/quote]

I guess for me it's a bit like buying 'pre-faded' jeans. ( See 'Ripped Jeans' thread in OT). :-)

I'm not having much luck with strings tbh, when the initial supply problem hit I went to another supplier and ordered some Elites, the idea being if I liked them I'd stick with them. Over a week later and nothing, phoned them up and was told the other colleague was supposed to let me know they were not in stock despite being on the website and money taken. Got offered an alternative, wrong gauge and about £25 more. In the end he sent me these for the inconvenience, I've had these on ever since and they're getting a bit dead to say the least. Beginning to wish I'd gone for Elites again!!

Phone call from Dawn, looks like a picking error so she's sending me an E after the bank holiday. Re packaging, they've been doing this for a while as are other string companies for economic and environmental reasons so fair enough. Good of her to get back to me so soon!

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1495898999' post='3307461']
Maybe I should get on the blower, easy for a company to miss an email I suppose!
[/quote]

To be honest they've always got back to me fairly quickly by email after I've emailed them. Maybe the blower, it goes to answerphone at the moment I guess as it's Saturday and a BH weekend but give her her due Dawn did get back to me even though she was in the middle of some family stuff. Obviously your choice but I'd wait until post bank holiday if I was you.

Edited by barneyg42

I've always had great CS from Status - Dawn is an absolute diamond at putting right any problems, she gave me her mobile no after my order was delayed because Rob (mistakenly) told her that the medium scale strings don't fit a standard bass - as Fleabag pointed out, they do.

If you have any problems, they will bend over backwards to put these right, reputation is important to them. IME A great company to do business with and I'll continue to do so.