Why become a member? ×

Keeping string gauge on new bass the same when changing the strings?

only4

Just interested in knowing if any of you feel that it's a good idea to stick with the manufacturers original string gauge when changing strings?
eg. is the neck on the bass designed around an ideal string tension?
The reason I ask is that I've recently got a Stingray which comes as standard with 40-100 strings and I also had a Status bass some time ago which also came as standard with 40-100, where as most other basses seem to come with 45-105.
I just wondered what leads a manufacturer to choose the string gauge they send their basses out with from new?

Cheers

Edited by only4

• 3 weeks later...

If you're happy with what strings you have and the bass is properly set up, then yes. When putting the same set of strings on then just simply change them one at a time. Remember that if you go to a different brand, you will need to do adjustments because the tension from brand to brand will be different despite having the same gauge.
You will need to check the intonation of the bass occasionally, whether you change to a new set or not.

[quote name='fretlessguy' timestamp='1497284517' post='3317032']
If you're happy with what strings you have and the bass is properly set up, then yes. When putting the same set of strings on then just simply change them one at a time. Remember that if you go to a different brand, you will need to do adjustments because the tension from brand to brand will be different despite having the same gauge.
You will need to check the intonation of the bass occasionally, whether you change to a new set or not.
[/quote]

Yeah, this much i understand. But as an engineer i find it hard to believe that a luthier just randomly selects a gauge of string to put on their basses.
I just couldn't help wonder if this is where some truss rod and neck issues start?
For example if you have a slim neck bass that the maker has fitted with light gauge strings to make life easy for the neck.
Then the buyer puts really heavy strings on because they are his preferred string but in doing this has to over tighten the truss rod to compensate for the difference in tension?
Or am i just overthinking things?

[quote name='only4' timestamp='1495836217' post='3307040']
I just wondered what leads a manufacturer to choose the string gauge they send their basses out with from new?

Cheers
[/quote]

I'll take a guess at whatever gauge they can get for the lowest amount of money :)

Edited by Delberthot

I doubt very much that the guitar's designer has had a say in what strings are put on it, unless you're in realm of expensive custom built basses. I usually string my slim need Jazz basses lighter than the the heftier Precisions, but recently bought a Thunderbird, which has a long thin neck, and it's a through neck as well, but that comes as standard with quite heavy gauge strings.

As has already been hinted, a bass/guitar neck with a trussrod is designed to accept a range of string tensions.

Hence, there is too 'light tension and also too 'heavy' tension but in the middle there is a range of different tensions acceptable to that neck/trussrod arrangement.

By the way, tension (at a particular pitch and scale length) is dependent not on gauge as such but on mass per unit length of string.

Hence, same gauge but different construction can lead to different tension.

Always needing to stick with the same tension of factory fitted string could also limit someone choosing to tune their bass differently, say Eb-Ab-Db-Gb or B-E-A-D on a four string or E-A-D-G-C on a five string ... or even using a D-tuner on the E string.

Besides which I always use flatwound strings and it would be very rare to buy a new bass factory fitted with flats. Lakland did that for me on request but the last time I bought a new bass and it automatically came with flats was 1976.

I don't know if it's my perception, but my Stingray is at it's best when it's wearing 40-100's as recommended. Sounds and feels much better than when I try with 105's (yes setup is adjusted between changes)

I also had a Mex 70's Jazz bass which would only support the factory spec strings a couple of years ago. Put 105's on it and the neck went snap.

I'm sure I'm the exception though.

choose a gauge to suit the music you make.

Light gauge for lots of bending, heavy gauge for downtuning or heavy picking or digging in, Medium for all else. Some gauges might be too stiff for a particular style. Different brands of the same gauge vary in tension and stiffness depending on the core being round or hexagonal .
Light strings would make more clank on a super low action bass for instance

Edited by bazztard

A car designer doesn't care which make of tyre you put on his car, and a bass guitar designer doesn't care what strings you use. To that end he'll design a bass that will have multiple adjustment points.

Manufacturers will choose a generic string size. One that most potential customers will be happy playing when they are looking at the bass in a shop.

Use any strings that get you the sound and feel you prefer.

While I agree with everything that's been said about owners changing string gauge, I'm sure that most top-end manufacturers put a fair amount of thought into their choice of OE string gauge/construction for a given design. I'd replace with the same gauge from the same maker unless I had a good reason for doing something different.

To get the best out of your bass you need to experiment with the strings you fit to it. If you like the strings your bass has been supplied with then that's a good starting point.

The other thing to remember is that what works on one bass won't necessarily work on another. Every bass (and it's play) is different.

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1498035467' post='3322069']
I'm sure that most top-end manufacturers put a fair amount of thought into their choice of OE string gauge/construction for a given design. I'd replace with the same gauge from the same maker unless I had a good reason for doing something different.
[/quote]
I think you're giving builders too much credit.

Boutique bass builders might have strings they prefer but they will know that their customers will put on a variety of strings and will build accordingly.

Volume builders? Strings are just another commodity to be bought in by the truck load. Give them the best price and you've got the contract.

It has never occurred to me that there are players who will think they have to use the same strings that came on the bass for ever! That is a very strange and limiting outlook.