Why become a member? ×

Epiphone thunderbird

Geek99

I like 'em. What type of Epiphone thunderbird was it? I've owned two - the first was the original epi old-style bolt-on version but a limited edition 'alpine white' version and the one I still have is the pro-v 5 string version in the raw oiled finish. I'm looking forward to seeing the new version which appears to be a much closer recreation of the orginal 1964 gibson.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1495837512' post='3307054']
Does anyone have an opinion on these ? Tried one in Matlock music shop today and was quite taken - but not enough to bust my quota
[/quote]

There ok basses but they are not the same quality or sound as the Gibson Thunderbird. I've owned both.

Blue

I have a japanese prototype of the Gibson Explorer.
Got given it in Nashville in the early eighties by "friends" at Massman Drive at the time. It came with a bolt on fender style neck and a Precision split pickup.
At the time Gibson were practically giving away solid body colour thunderbird and Explorer basses, all of which were utter cack.
Sadly they never put the bolt on version I had into production. I have since added an EMG P/J set to it and it was my main bass for over thirty years. Great instrument. And I have only ever played ONE T'bird bass that was better, even though it had received the headstock "customisation generally found on these!
:D

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1495869121' post='3307122']
I have a japanese prototype of the Gibson Explorer.
Got given it in Nashville in the early eighties by "friends" at Massman Drive at the time. It came with a bolt on fender style neck and a Precision split pickup.
At the time Gibson were practically giving away solid body colour thunderbird and Explorer basses, all of which were utter cack.
Sadly they never put the bolt on version I had into production. I have since added an EMG P/J set to it and it was my main bass for over thirty years. Great instrument. And I have only ever played ONE T'bird bass that was better, even though it had received the headstock "customisation generally found on these!
:D
[/quote]

I'm interested in what constitutes a 'Japanese prototype' in this instance. Orville made basses under license in Japan. Photos would be nice too.

I've own both a Gibson & have an Epi as a knockabout. My Epiphone was / is listed on here but I never bumped the thread as I seem to play it so much (plus I prefer having the cheaper one on display because it's no drama if the kids or cats knock it over). T-birds don't seem to have the resale value of Fenders but the through neck construction gives you an amazing bottom end that I never had in 20 years of Fender playing. The higher end Epi with the through neck and Gibson pickups is, in my mind, comparable with a high end MIM or CIJ Fender. Even the entry level Epi T-bird with the cheaper pickups and bolt on neck is a lot of fun. Sure my Gibson is superior but like with all bass kit, costing 5 times as much doesn't mean it is five times better.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1495837512' post='3307054']
Does anyone have an opinion on these ? Tried one in Matlock music shop today and was quite taken - but not enough to bust my quota
[/quote]

Which version? Epiphone currently make 3 different Thunderbirds that have little in common in terms of construction and electronics. There's more to a bass guitar despite gin than just the shape.

I bought an Epiphone Thunderbird Pro IV on a whim a few years back. The one with the USA pick ups. I had to buy a special gigbag to put it in as standard shaped ones would not fit.
I gigged it a few times but found the neck a bit to narrow for my liking.
It had quite a nice tone but like Roger2611 ^ I also sold it after a few months and went back to a P Bass.

Edited by Hobbayne

I've not been impressed with the bolt on neck ones I've tried so far but the through neck pro's are a different matter. I've got currently got 2 Alpine white pro's and although they're not quite as nice as my Gibson's they are not far off, and for the price I think they are a bargain.

One thing that did surprise me though was the difference in neck profiles on them. The first Epiphone pro I bought was ok but I found the second one too chunky & ended up getting the neck shaved, so it might be worth trying some before committing to buying.

[quote name='The_Rodster' timestamp='1495905928' post='3307507']
Yeah, I know a lot of people complain about the neck dive but I can honestly say I've never had that problem with any of my Thunderbirds
[/quote]

Me either, to this day I haven't a clue to what these guys are talking about.

Blue

The through neck pro is an extremely good instrument with top notch build quality. It sounds great and looks great. I still prefer my jazz. For me, it sits more comfortably and has has a string spacing I prefer. The tbird is a narrow string spacing. Fantastic bass though if you can get it to feel comfortable as there is nothing comparable.

Edited by julesb

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1495889862' post='3307374']
I had a Thunderbird Pro for a while before the neck dive singled it out for sale.

Lovely tone, really sang out...just couldn't get on with the Eergonomics
[/quote]

Pretty much this. Really wanted one, tried one, loved the tone and the look, neck was nice and fast. Body too unwieldy for home noodling.

I really fancy trying a Thunderbird simply because they look so cool. Whatever I have bought over the years, I always end up playing a Precision or a Jazz, but can't stop myself experimenting! One day I'll find myself in a music shop in a moment of weakness and I'll own one.

I love the sound but ergonomics concern me, I have an EB3 and the sound is so rich and thick it's amazing for a cheapish bass but the horrendous neck dive and position of the pickups just mean it's not the first choice off the rack most times. For an odd noodle here and there it's great but for a gig it's always the Aria or Precision. But I know I will get one someday, it will either be a super cheap epiphone or I will fall in love with a Gibson and risk it. There is a Gibson for sale on here that is gorgeous but out of my price range at the moment.

I have an '05 Korean Epi T'Bird and it's fantastic. Yes ther was a neck dive issue, but I moved the neck strap button to behind the neck joint and that has solved the issue. Not worried about resale as it only cost me £105. They have a great sound and even though it's a bolt on it sustains fantastically well. Do Gibsons sound better? Of course they do, but you would expect so for the price. Plus they are great attention grabbers that will upstage the guitarist! If you don't have one in your roster, I'd say you really do need one in your life.

I managed to pick up the bolt on version for £100 and its good fun and an ok bass for the money you would normally pay full price.
Found it suffered from neck dive. Moved the strap buttons as shown on Youtube and made a huge diff.
I also find the necks on them feel very rigid and chunky if that makes sense. I'm more used to slim Jazz neck.
It also has a very low end thunderous tone which would be great for rock band. Bit limited ffor other styles i would think.
Mate has the NT white special and its a far better bass to play.
Never tried a Gibson.

Dave

There's new Epi Bird out in July, 2 piece bridge, chrome pups, Fender style tuners, basically a bit of a 60's RI.
I'm jonesing for a white one.
Follow the thread
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/298790-new-embassy-and-also-thunderbird-bass-classic-style/

Oh and ivansc, I gigged an '84 Explorer bass for 17 years and found it to be a VERY long way from "utter cack".