Why become a member? ×

Epiphone thunderbird

Geek99

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1496569387' post='3312310']
It's no good, my will has failed. There is a wanted ad up as we speak for an epiphone thunderbird (sorry Blue, my pockets just aren't that deep to stretch to a Gibson at the moment)
[/quote]

You might want to wait or buy used.

Blue

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1496572310' post='3312330']
Epiphone or Gibson, it'll make a serious impact, nothing looks as good as this!

[attachment=246605:18902497_1059873444156318_656309542_n.jpg]

It's put the pic in twice, but only shows as one in edit mode - sorry, but two Thunderbirds for the price of one can't be bad!
[/quote]

Cool pics, Dave what year is that bird?

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1496596626' post='3312571']
Cool pics, Dave what year is that bird?

Blue
[/quote]

2012, according to the date stamp on the back of the head, Blue. Two gigs in now and love the sound and the attention the bass attracts!

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1496600874' post='3312605']

2012, according to the date stamp on the back of the head, Blue. Two gigs in now and love the sound and the attention the bass attracts!
[/quote]

Back in the 70s, The Gibson Thunderbird was the ultimate "kick ass" bass.

Enjoy your Thunderbird Dave. I'll be gigging mine a lot more often. Might use it for our show with Frampton.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1496608862' post='3312717']
Back in the 70s, The Gibson Thunderbird was the ultimate "kick ass" bass.

Enjoy your Thunderbird Dave. I'll be gigging mine a lot more often. Might use it for our show with Frampton.

Blue
[/quote]

Cheers, Blue, people will definitely take notice of you with the Thunderbird. We'd all like to think it's our technique, musical ability, and personality that gets us noticed, but I increasingly think it's just down to the impact we make on stage. The look of the bass and the player makes a real difference.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1496609734' post='3312735']

Cheers, Blue, people will definitely take notice of you with the Thunderbird. We'd all like to think it's our technique, musical ability, and personality that gets us noticed, but I increasingly think it's just down to the impact we make on stage. The look of the bass and the player makes a real difference.
[/quote]

It's vital to look cool in the pics Dave ;)

[/quote]

True, I get a lot of attention from guitarists when I gig my Gibson Gold Top Les Paul bass

Blue

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1496525320' post='3312146']

"Younger guys" ? C'mon - Epiphone were making quality instruments before anyone on this forum was born.
[/quote]

They may have always made quality instruments. But those of us that were gigging back in the 60s know that Epihone was not known as the 2nd teir Gibson.

Blue

Edited by blue

[/quote]

I would concur that in the circles I play in, the Thunderbirds always garner attention. No one really cares about Fenders (etc.), as they're ten a penny. Strap on a Thunderbird and I'd guarantee positive comments.

Look, I've said this before. I'm a slightly podgy bloke that's now pushing 50. When I'm using a Thunderbird, I feel like the rake thin guy I was in my 20s. It takes years off you. It takes pounds off you. They're like magic.

That said, someone buy one of mine in the For Sale area..

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1496616302' post='3312790']
Speak for yourself, sonny!
[/quote]

I think it's fair to say that Epiphone's reputation as a instrument maker was forged in the early years of the last century, if you remember that then I congratulate you on your longevity !

Edited by ahpook

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/305672-gibson-thunderbird-studio-usa-black-2005-sold/page__pid__3314221#entry3314221

I blame you guys (especially Finndave and Blue ;-) ), sold some more of my old car parts today so budget jumped a bit and deal has been struck on a Gibson which should be with me early next week.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1496851850' post='3314312']
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/305672-gibson-thunderbird-studio-usa-black-2005-sold/page__pid__3314221#entry3314221"]http://basschat.co.u...21#entry3314221[/url]

I blame you guys (especially Finndave and Blue ;-) ), sold some more of my old car parts today so budget jumped a bit and deal has been struck on a Gibson which should be with me early next week.
[/quote]

So long as we get the appreciation as well as the blame, I'm good with that!

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1496863801' post='3314392']

So long as we get the appreciation as well as the blame, I'm good with that!
[/quote]
Indeed you will :-) I didn't think I could stretch to one but some of my classic car bits went today and I just thought stuff it, I am sure the Epi is great but it wasn't a stupid amount more for the Gibson. Sadly it's missing it's case so the hunt begins for one of those.

I just can't wait to get it set up and running. Next gig is the first weekend in July so have plenty of time.

[quote name='The_Rodster' timestamp='1496573619' post='3312342']
I've found the Epiphone Pro's to be really close to my Gibson Tbirds. To my mind there's slightly less resonance in the Epiphone body. I've given my Epi's a bit of a make over though, as you can see from the photo's (hopefully!)

[attachment=246616:White Tbird.jpg]

[attachment=246617:P1050907.JPG]
[/quote]

Aww man, that white single pup, :gas: :gas: :gas:

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1496866716' post='3314426']
Aww man, that white single pup, :gas: :gas: :gas:
[/quote]

Thanks chap, I'm glad someone else likes it too. It took a while to go from how it looked when I bought it to that, luckily I have a friendly, local guitar luthier. Here are the work in progress photos:

[attachment=246882:TB1.JPG]

[attachment=246883:TB2.jpeg]

[attachment=246884:TB3.JPG]

[attachment=246885:TB5.JPG]

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1496016826' post='3308164']
The neck on my 1991 Gibson Thunderbird is thin like a jazz bass and features the ebony fretboard. I gigged it last night and guess what, no neck dive.

Guys, I hate to be pompas, but IMO the Epi product is not really a Thunderbird.

Now, if there's a Japanese Ibenez Thunderbird, I'm interested.

Blue
[/quote]

Cheers Blue i had no idea the original T bird had a slim neck. Think i might give one a go as i love the style and the tone is unique.
I only bought the Epi cause it was so cheap and the seller was desperate for the money.

Dave

When I was looking for info on the Gibson studio I have just bought one of the sales patter/ ads I found said that the studio had a lighter head and neck 'much like the original', but didn't clarify beyond that. So presumably some of the modern Gibsons have a slightly different neck and head to the old style. Maybe that is the reason for some diving and others not?