Why become a member? ×

Epiphone thunderbird

Geek99

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1495974843' post='3307839']
I managed to pick up the bolt on version for £100 and its good fun and an ok bass for the money you would normally pay full price.
Found it suffered from neck dive. Moved the strap buttons as shown on Youtube and made a huge diff.
I also find the necks on them feel very rigid and chunky if that makes sense. I'm more used to slim Jazz neck.
It also has a very low end thunderous tone which would be great for rock band. Bit limited ffor other styles i would think.
Mate has the NT white special and its a far better bass to play.
Never tried a Gibson.

Dave
[/quote]

The neck on my 1991 Gibson Thunderbird is thin like a jazz bass and features the ebony fretboard. I gigged it last night and guess what, no neck dive.

Guys, I hate to be pompas, but IMO the Epi product is not really a Thunderbird.

Now, if there's a Japanese Ibenez Thunderbird, I'm interested.

Blue

Edited by blue

surprised no-one has mentioned the biggest difference between the Gibson and the Epi's. Gibsons are really light basses. The Epi's are beasts.

I have to say mine created quite a stir at every gig I took it to, just the look of it really, and I loved the sound it made, the sustain and the super fast narrow neck. In the end the neck dive and the twist spoiled it for me. I watched Martin Turner (Wishbone Ash https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUolWNHxRiM ) last Friday and like most of the T-bird players he plays mainly with a pick and the bass on his thigh with his picking arm resting against the bass. I play finger style only and without that restraining arm they dive like crazy.

I sold the Gibson, it was a waste to have a lovely bass unplayed, then I missed it and a Japanese T-bird came up, a Burny by Fernandes. It has the same light weight and fast neck, the sound is great but without that snarl the Gibson has when you dig in.

If the OP is thinking about a purchase try the Epi and Gibson next to each other, it's a completely different experience. Personally I'd wait and see what Epiphone bring out next if a new model is due soon.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1496042491' post='3308230']
Are Epiphone Thunderbirds neck through or bolt on? I forget.

Blue
[/quote]

I think they have both in the range. I am sorely tempted by a through neck Epi, always like the way they looked, and now that I have to play with a pick, I don't think the neck dive would be a problem (it isn't with my JCB)

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1496043192' post='3308238']

I think they have both in the range. I am sorely tempted by a through neck Epi, always like the way they looked, and now that I have to play with a pick, I don't think the neck dive would be a problem (it isn't with my JCB)
[/quote]

I play exclusively with a pick.

Maybe that's why the whole "neck dive" talking point never made any sense to me.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1496049457' post='3308310']

I play exclusively with a pick.

Maybe that's why the whole "neck dive" talking point never made any sense to me.

Blue
[/quote]

As a finger player a t bird is a totally different kettle of fish when playing imo.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1496050910' post='3308341']
Plectrum or fingers, all the Epi Thunderbirds I've played have had similar ergonomics.

I really think it's something you can get on with or you can't.
[/quote]

As a finger player, only my right thumb was resting on the bass (usually against the pickup) so there wasting to stop the neck from diving. As a pick player, my right forearm rests on the body of the bass, and helps keep it in place.

I think the new Epi T-Bird has definitely started a bout of GAS for me.....the spec sounds like it might just as well have the Gibson name on the headstock. Looks like it will be around 600 quid but with that spec it should be very high quality.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1495872682' post='3307158']
I'm interested in what constitutes a 'Japanese prototype' in this instance. Orville made basses under license in Japan. Photos would be nice too.
[/quote]
At the time (early eighties) Massman Drive was somewhat in its infancy as far as prototyping and the custard shop had only recently started - grabbing more and more of the in house luthier's time.
Hence a lot of their prototype stuff was farmed out to Japan.
I am only going by what I was told by them when I was given the bass, but fwiw its really just a fairly plain jane Explorer made to look like a neck through by the body being made of a sandwich of woods that lined up with the bolt on neck.

But you are right - I maybe should gets it piccy on here if I can get my camera to work and figure out how to post pics on here!
I may be some time... :lol:

Edited by ivansc

The only difference mine seems to have apart from the logo is a 9 ply through neck instead of 11 ply. It has USA pups and an aftermarket Babicz bridge si it's as close as can be. YES IT'S NOT A GIBSON but for the price it's a no brainer imo. Still prefer the feel of my jazz though as I'm not a pick player so will probably sell soon...

I'm sure someone else asked about these recently.

Basically the only one worth getting is the classic pro.
Literally just like a Gibson but a fraction of the price.
I had one then after played the real thing if I had the cash for the Gibson I would of got the epi classic. And spent the rest on women, drink and gambling. Yeah cheap women, cider and a game of bingo but still.

Tonally I think there a one or two trick instrument. As said the classic sounds just like a later models up till 2013 Gibson. Same USA pickups and cheaper but identical value pots etc So if you like that tone go for it.
The epiphone I had set up excellent and since then I've set up for others a couple of classics they needed no fret work at all.

The pro active is nice but doesn't have the same tone.
The bolt on neck models look cool and are decent I suppose but dont have the full thunderbird tone going on.
T birds are hard to play due to the size etc, so you want something that sounds like a t bird for the effort.

The neck on the classic models are very thin but comfortable. Actually one of the nicest necks out there imo of course.

Edited by Twincam

Zero neck dive on a Thunderbird if you wrap the bridge end of the strap over the top of the wing instead of behind the bass. In fact, if you want a bass to stay absolutely rock steady when you let go of the neck, a Thunderbird worn like this offers the ultimate stability!

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1496064292' post='3308474']
What changed with the Gibsons in 2013?
[/quote]

I am no Gibson expert but didn't they stop making them in that year, untill recently with different specs???? I could be wrong but I believe there was some changes at least in the pickups. Ain't the new ones have exposed polls I don't know the other difference.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1496073396' post='3308554']
I am no Gibson expert but didn't they stop making them in that year, untill recently with different specs???? I could be wrong but I believe there was some changes at least in the pickups. Ain't the new ones have exposed polls I don't know the other difference.
[/quote]

In 2014/15, the pickups were changed to the same as those in the EB series (with the visible polepieces), they dropped the three point bridge (and moved to a Babicz FCH unit) and there was the addition of three microswitches to the tone circuit that allowed coiltap options.

Of the latter, I played one in New York two years ago and honestly couldn't tell if the switching options actually made any difference whatsover!

Edited by NancyJohnson