Why become a member? ×

Muddy bass sound at smaller venues with wooden floors

logicred

Hi all. I play in a funk band and have a jazz bass, markbass 1x15 and 2x10. Love the scooped sound. In my house, and when recorded the sound is perfect. When playing outside gigs, it's great. HOWEVER, I am struggling with pub or hall gigs which are large and often have wooden floors. No matter what I do, I just hear a muddy sound. I have wireless so can stand at various places whilst doing a sound check which is handy, but the sound is just so muddy when the traditional "both pickup selected" sound is there. I can favour the bridge pickup which makes it a tiny bit better, but then sounds thin.

We have a decent PA and I DI out into this a tiny bit, but anything too loud and it just sounds to tinny (I do lots of slap). EQ wise, everything is pretty flat. I usually take the mids out a bit, but put them back in halfway through the gig and it sounded worse to my ears.

Any advice appreciated. I am wondering if I should try a stingray for stuff like that which will cut through a bit more...

Thanks in advance.

Not sure if it's the same problem but I asked on here about playing on a sprung floor recently. The suggestion was to use thick dense foam to insulate the cabs from the floor. I tried with and without and was amazed at the difference in clarity so may be worth a try for you.

Dial back the filters. They are off when turned fully anticlockwise. Try a high pass filter to reduce unwanted low frequencies.

Reduce the lows and push the mids to improve definition. A GRAMMA pad might help.

My suggestion would be to ditch the 115 and use 2 210 cabs.

scooped sound is lovely when playing on your own but live with the rest of the band it's a no no, I've got a Trace GP12 and I turn all the sliders down below 100Hz, and don't use the TE shape button, what you hear and what the crowd hears are 2 different things, generally you need to think you're not 'bassy' enough but you probably are especially if there's a bit of a crowd in, I've found that bass is particularly affected by bodies in the room

Edited by PaulWarning

Really good advice so far, thanks everyone! As it happens, yesterday I was playing on a raised small stage area so the foam certainly may have helped there.Agreed 100% about the amount of people affecting the bass sound, i have also found that.

Check out Micro Thumpinator, in particular the video of the cab before and after plugging in to it. Brilliant bits of kit. I bought one a few months ago, and it was money well spent. It won't fix the problem for you, but it removes a lot of the bass turbulence that's part of the problem..

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1495873931' post='3307170']
scooped sound is lovely when playing on your own but live with the rest of the band it's a no no, I've got a Trace GP12 and I turn all the sliders down below 100Hz, and don't use the TE shape button, what you hear and what the crowd hears are 2 different things, generally you need to think you're not 'bassy' enough but you probably are especially if there's a bit of a crowd in, I've found that bass is particularly affected by bodies in the room
[/quote]

+++++++++1 in fact when your sounding thin and sh*tty on stage the audience are getting full, rich and round tone heaven in the mush pit.

Markbass cabs have a fair bit of top-end roll-off, hence why the DI`d sound is tinnier/sharper. Additionally the wooden flooring isn`t going to be helping, so the suggestion of an isolation pad is a good one, as that will get the sound from the speakers nearer to that through the PA. I`d cut back some highs through the PA as well.

Thanks again all. Some interesting reading. Will definitely try a home made dense foam riser. Appreciate the comments about the audience hearing something different, but as mentioned with the wireless I can walk into the audience area during a sound check and hear what they hear (which is just a muddy bass sound).

The reason I mentioned about the stingray (!) was I used a Ray34 for a while and had no issues whatsoever if I recall. I think my main point about the thread was the use of the jazz 'both pickup' sound which no matter how good the amp would always sounded muddy...

Another vote for something like the auralex foam thingies. Mine was the solution to all the oomy wooden stages, etc., and coincidentally seems to help on the few occasions when I have to play directly on a concrete floor no stage.